P35-DS3R with G-Skill Memory Question

G

I have a DS3R mobo and 4GB (2x2GB) of G-Skill 5-5-5-15 memory. I'm installing the PSU tomorrow when I get home and hoping it posts. Gigabyte's website doesnt have G-Skill memory on their list of supported memory so I was wondering if I may have a problem here or if anyone else has G-Skill memory in their DS3R w/out any problem.

Thanks!

sorry to answer this way ,but do u know why doesnt any one answer ? thats because Memory compatibilty with Motherboard is been asking 100 times per day , plz read the forum before u ask

It doesnt mean if the G.SKILL isnt in the list of GIGABYTE supported RAM , it will fit just fine , i have 4GB reaper ram which isnt in ASUS rams list , but it supports it

G

I did check through the first 5 pages of the Gigabyte forum here and did not see one thread with G-Skill memory and the P35-DS3R board, which is why I started the thread. I also checked G-Skill's forums and posted a thread there as well.

I'm sorry is my thread appears to be overkill, I feel the same way with the new system ideas on the general homebuilt boards.

srtboy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I have compatibility issues with the p35-ds3r and g. skill nq series. The computer has cold boot issues. The only way to fix this is to not overclock or set the memory ratio to 3.33 or 4.00. I've done some research on this and I have found no solution. here is an example of someone else having the same problem with no solution either.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Threaded&catid=29&threadid=2046343

I got my P35 DS3 last week, along with an E4400 and 2 gigs of Corsair DDR2-800 RAM. So far the setup seems very stable and I have overclocked the E4400 up to 3150 @ 1.39 volts.

The only issue I have found with my setup is that when I started overclocking I found that when the computer was started from a cold boot - the fans would start for a second, then stop and 2-3 seconds later it would boot up. This only occurred when the computer was switched off at the power point - if the computer was shut down and restarted via Windows, it would boot straight away.

I have heard of cold-boot problems with Gigabyte 965 chipsets - not sure about the P35's.

Originally I suspected my powersupply (SuperFlower 600 Watt) but even at overclocks as low as 2.2 Ghz the cold boot problem was still there.

After some (a lot ) of bios tweaking with every setting I could find, I discovered that if I use a RAM divider of 3.33 or 4 - the cold boot issue disappeared. Trouble is that getting to 3 Ghz with a 3.33 divider means my ram runs to 900+Mhz.

So.... anyone else having this kind of problem with these boards - or is this considered "normal" when overclocking Intel chipsets (ex AMD person here).

Currently running my E4400 at 2.8Ghz - which is still very fast compared with my old AMD system.

Oh yes one more thing, the motherboard came with an F2 bios, which I have not upgraded, but something tells me that wont fix the problem.

grimstar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I'm running a DS3R with 2x1gig G Skill memory (800mhz, 5-5-5-15) and it ran perfect from the start.

Not identical, but hope it helps.

G

That helps, it lets me know that there is a decent chance everything could go smoothly. I've seen some G-Skill questions on their forums about mobo's not supporting the memory and their techs have for the most part said that their memory should work fine.

I made a last second change in memory from 2gig corsair to 4 gig gskill and just forgot to check compatibility. Was such a good price for the ram though.