P35C-DS3R NIC won't do GbE

bgetchel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I've just about come to the conclusion that I made a mistake saving a few lousy bucks when I opted for the P35C-DS3R over the rival Asus P5K Deluxe. Not only does it lack a second PCIe slot above x1, and has some random quirks to boot, but now I can't get the NIC to operate at GbE! I have three machines all plugged into the same GbE switch, and have swapped cables between them, but the P35C simply refuses to go above 100Mbps. I've tried forcing Gb in the hardware settings, but that does absolutely nothing. I've tinkered in the BIOS thinking I must've missed something but to no avail. (Yes, I've upgraded to F4).

Anyway, I routinely access multiple TB of data (which is why I have 4x7K1000 drives installed in this workstation) and 100Mbps won't cut it (even 1Gb seems slow sometimes). Overclocking the Q6600 to 3.6 was a cakewalk with this board, which I hope won't get lost when I replace it with the Asus.

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 (I have 8GB of DDR2-800). I hope that I am just missing something, and someone here will be able to assist. That might go toward a stay of execution for my P35C.

Thanks,

TH

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I hate to state the obvious, but check your cables and check the switch. I have a Netgear 5 port Gigabit switch that occasionally stops letting newly attached computers connect at gigabit. Simply unplugging the power, letting it sit for a bit, then plugging it back in gets my computers running at gigabit speeds again. I use gigabit with Vista x64 on my POS Ecs mobo so the OS shouldn't be an issue unless its a driver specific issue. Also you mentioned updating BIOS, but have you updated your drivers?

-mcg

bgetchel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Hi MCG.

Already done all of that. Swapped cables and ports with two other machines that are running fine at GbE. I have the latest driver version from Gigabyte (as-of yesterday anyway).

You're right, those are pretty obvious, but I understand you need to start with the basics.

Thanks.