p4 1.6 chip attached/locked onto heatsink

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

P4 1.6 OEM CPU and Heatsink has been in the system 3 years working well.
while removing the heatsink to replace the heatsink and fan the chip stayed
attached to the heatsink and was removed from the Zif socket. The chip is
stuck fast to the heatsink and not easily removed from it. Also it can not
now be reinserted into the socket. It does not look like there is a thermal
pad looks as if there ws either paste or a thin plastic gluelike residue.
Can anyone tell me how I can remove the chip without damaging it.

Ben

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:51:36 -0400, "novice" <scndaddress@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>P4 1.6 OEM CPU and Heatsink has been in the system 3 years working well.
>while removing the heatsink to replace the heatsink and fan the chip stayed
>attached to the heatsink and was removed from the Zif socket. The chip is
>stuck fast to the heatsink and not easily removed from it. Also it can not
>now be reinserted into the socket. It does not look like there is a thermal
>pad looks as if there ws either paste or a thin plastic gluelike residue.
>Can anyone tell me how I can remove the chip without damaging it.

Heat it up. If you can get it into the socket again, plug the thing
in and turn it on for 5-10 minutes. Power it off and immediately
remove the heatsink, it should come off easily enough. Otherwise a
hair dryer might be able to heat it up a bit and loosen things up.

Alternatively you might be looking at sliding a sharp knife between
the two to "cut" them apart. In either case, with a bit of patience
you should be able to get them free, just hope that you haven't
damaged any of the pins while when you pulled it out. If so... you
might be able to find a cheap, second-hand P4 chip for your board.

-------------
Tony Hill

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tony and Robert thank you. I heated up the heatsink with a hair dryer and
it twisted right off. again thanks
Ben

Tony Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:51:36 -0400, "novice" <scndaddress@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>P4 1.6 OEM CPU and Heatsink has been in the system 3 years working well.
>>while removing the heatsink to replace the heatsink and fan the chip stayed
>>attached to the heatsink and was removed from the Zif socket. The chip is
>>stuck fast to the heatsink and not easily removed from it. Also it can not
>>now be reinserted into the socket. It does not look like there is a thermal
>>pad looks as if there ws either paste or a thin plastic gluelike residue.
>>Can anyone tell me how I can remove the chip without damaging it.
>

> Heat it up. If you can get it into the socket again, plug the thing
> in and turn it on for 5-10 minutes. Power it off and immediately
> remove the heatsink, it should come off easily enough. Otherwise a
> hair dryer might be able to heat it up a bit and loosen things up.
>
> Alternatively you might be looking at sliding a sharp knife between
> the two to "cut" them apart. In either case, with a bit of patience
> you should be able to get them free, just hope that you haven't
> damaged any of the pins while when you pulled it out. If so... you
> might be able to find a cheap, second-hand P4 chip for your board.

The last time this happened to me I just put the chip
outside on a cold day ( -30'C or thereabouts), then
after a little while I held the heatsink and gently
rapped the heatsink on a hard surface. The cpu fell
away nicely from the heatsink. After bringing both
parts in and letting them thaw, I cleaned the remaining
gunk off of both parts with acetone.

Even where I am it is not cold enough for this trick
at this time of the year ( -4'C today), but a deep
freezer should do the trick - those things often get
down to -20'C.

--
Reply to rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca
Do not remove anything.

novice <scndaddress@yahoo.com> wrote:
> P4 1.6 OEM CPU and Heatsink has been in the system 3 years
> working well. while removing the heatsink to replace the
> heatsink and fan the chip stayed attached to the heatsink
> and was removed from the Zif socket. The chip is stuck
> fast to the heatsink and not easily removed from it. Also
> it can not now be reinserted into the socket. It does not
> look like there is a thermal pad looks as if there ws either
> paste or a thin plastic gluelike residue. Can anyone tell
> me how I can remove the chip without damaging it.

If it can't be re-inserted, it's likely you bent some pins.
I find the tip of an empty mechanical pencil (0.5mm, maybe
0.3 mm on newer CPUs) the best straightening tool.

Separating CPUs from heatsinks can be difficult. I like to
give the heatsink a slight twist while the CPU is still in the
socket. If it doesn't budge, then run til hot. If it still
doesn't budge, give up. It's possible thermal epoxy was used.

If you have to work on a CPU out-of-socket, try twisting the
CPU carrier by applying tangential force. Or slide the CPU
off the heatsink. Do NOT pry unless you are sure of applying
force only to the heatslug and none to the chip carrier.
You might try deftly tapping in a utility knife [rhomboidal]
razor blade radially at one corner.

-- Robert

On the Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:33:54 -0400, novice wrote:
> Tony and Robert thank you. I heated up the heatsink with a hair dryer and
> it twisted right off. again thanks
> Ben

Did it fit into the socket?

--
Roman Werpachowski

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

yes.
seated itself in and is working well. the reason it couldn't reseat itself
when it was attached to the heatsink swas the lever to close the zif socket
kept closing berfor insertion of the pins from the heatsink.

"Roman Werpachowski" <"r o m a nNOSPAM"@student.ifpan.edu.pl> wrote in
message news:slrncn9ijr.3j0.romanNOSPAM@student.ifpan.edu.pl...