P4 1800 vs. Athlon 1400 @THG

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/01q3/010704/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/01q3/010704/index.html</A>

Well its in german. use google or altavista to translate.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
geez
i never realised the difference in Die size!
the p4 die pictured... is that the actual die or a protective cover?

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
protective cover it is. So the cpu doesnt get crushed. AMD should get protective cover too. It could of saved many cpu's from the Heatsink of death.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
i have do not translate all the text.

P4 1.8 is the fastest like all others benchmark i have post with 1.8 benchmark.Even the 1.7 at 350 $ is very near the 1.4 T-bird.For now we cant just wait for the 2.0 GHZ that will be release at the end of this month.Like tutu will be release in august.

G

Oh, we all know the Athlon is going to be way better in all benchmarks including solitaire....Nothing can beat the athlon....funny how the 1.4 asslawn and the p4 1.8 performs about the same in benchmarks (1.8 is better cuz it has more mhz)....and then i make fun of how 1.4 is so close to 1.8 in performance...hahahaha....but wait i heard MHZ doesn't matter....so logically if mhz doesn't matter and the 1.8 is better perfomance..that means intel has a better chip.....hmm....that's no good.....um..well AMD IS CHEAPER..ya that'll show'em

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
was all of that english? the main reason i'm replying to you is because you've done something that other people do that proves they have no right to argue about processors.

"1.8 is better cuz it has more mhz" -- has more mhz?
you can have more ram, but you can not <i>have</i> more mhz!
you can not walk into a store and ask to obtain some more mhz. in case this was more than just a gramatical error on your part i'll go through this: 1hz is one cycle per seccond. the m stands for mega, or million, therefore 500mhz is 500 million cycles per seccond.

for almost everyone else on this board who of course knows this, i appologize for the rant but that's my pet peeve.

---Cold pizza, cold coffee, and the THG forum...oh the heartburn.---

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Why does Intel charge so much for the P4 1.8ghz? Looked like half the tests the Athlon won half the P4. Athlon 1.4 cost = $164. P4 1.8 cost = ??? 1.7 = $323.. Is the performance worth over double the cost? I just don't get it. Why does AMD charge so little or Intel so much?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Do you also give $ to strangers??

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

G

answer simple 1.8 has 400 more mhz than amd 1.4...mhz are expensive..amd is like a cheap hooker..lower prices to gain business away from more expensive hooker

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
P4 cost a lot to produce and you pay for the brand name intel and for is long reputation in stable chipset.The 0.13 will reduce a lot the production cost of the cpu.They also Rambus who charge a lot for is RIMM technologie.Rimm cost also more to produce that DDR.Mothersboard cost also more to produce.ALL cost more to produce when P4 will be in the main stream the price will be reduce.
Intel and rambus allready have solution in there roadmap to reduce price.Anyway Intel will allwayse cost more that any others it intel world largest cpu manufacture and have most of the tech on is grasp.Like AGP port and many others SSE SSE2.AMD continue to copy some part of intel concept.Intel invest more that 4 billion in R&D over the world.There last manufacturing plan have cost more that 2 billion.