necros409

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I'm looking to buy a laptop, the PM 1.6ghz has greater battery life than the P4 3.0ghz. Both are priced similarly. but which one has better performance in regards to gaming?

RichPLS

Champion
I know the 2.0 mobile centrio is faster the the P4 3000

I would go centrino with as fast a processor you can afford, and as much RAM as you can afford.
These are musts for speed and satisfaction.
You also get better battery management and the bottom wont get so hot, not to mention the size.

endyen

Splendid
Nope. Laptops come as a package. The graphics, and screen are far more important for gaming, than the difference between those chips. That PM is equal to a P4M@ 2.4. Normally either would be great for gaming, if you could slap an X800PE in with them.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Agreed. What is very important is which video cards you can choose from - which video cards come with those configs.

For instance, I've seen Centrino-based laptops with 1.6Ghz CPUs and Radeon mobility-class video cards (64MB dedicated memory) sit next to 3.0Ghz P4-based laptops with like 16MB shared video memory. This latter setup was even cheaper, and I bet many people got it without further considerations (it's a ripoff, though).

Endyen was right, laptops come in packages.... you have to evaluate each offering as a whole.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I've got a 1.7 centrino with an ATI fire gl T2 128mb (like radeon 9600) in it and it benches ok but still laptops aren't really for heavy duty gaming. There are some benchmarks results somwhere in this forum but i don't remeber where i posted them. Its a HP nw8000

ASUS P4P800S-X
P IV 2,4 @ nothing caus this board doesn't OC for [-peep-]
2x512MB Corsair pc4000
120 maxtor SATA
Sapphire Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Watercooled

Latest posts