P4 better at gameing?

G

provided you don't play anything with a high AI that is (real time strategy anyone?)

btw that must be the lousiest review I've seen so far! they sum it up with just two freakin' games?? and the Athlon they're using seems to be a slot-A part (not to mention it's hardly the fastest avaliable grade) if they'd use the T-bird part even when excluding the DDR factor should still kick in a 5~10% performance increase...=/

IMHO.....

G

i was under the impression that webbrousing (even on cable) was more limited by modems, isp then cpu but who knows. way kx133 is only sdram, particularly on q3 the amd 760 makes a big diff - athlon 1ghz is 200mhz behind 1.2ghz. For q3 On my k6-2 their was a 10% plus diff between ram 66mhz and ram 100mhz - adding a k6-3 with on die cache added a full 25% plus improvement. Its is very obvious were some of the advantages for q3 come from. And this is about the only game it is better.
In the benchmarks for mdk2 the framerates are practically the same right upto 1280*1024*16. This indicates cpu dependence because the framerates do not decrease with increasing fill rate requirements. To show you want these guys know look on the previous page where they suggest that the similiar results for games other than q3 are due to the limits of geforce2. These guys no nothing and don't compare against best oposition which is okay as they prob don't have it available (i mean they are not that easy to afford and not everybody in given them) but they really should take that into account. Like planet hardware they are mesmerised by terms like netburst and hyperpipelined.
ps look at the planet hardware review - it is worse. Every peice of software that p4 doesn't win they blame on faulty software. Apparently they think that by this time next week all software will be 100% sse2 optimised.

G

You guys are missing the point - Intel has always been king, and will be soon be king again - those pretenders to the throne at AMD will be cast into the pit for ever more.

I did it ! I did it ! I said that with a straight face !

As to your last point - exactly ! Like all us programmers are going to go and reoptimise our code for a single CPU ? Where is the benefit for us in that ? The whole point of x86 CPUs being performance strangled is backwards compatability, so why we would create multiple versions is beyond me. Admittedly sometimes we do Alpha versions - but usually not and there has to be a bloody good commercial reason for it - like we're going to go through man years of optimisation and retest for that....

===
Do unto others before they do unto you...

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to agree that the benchmarks sucked, and your points on programing and optimizations are right on ;)

Bored, Certified Tech.

TRENDING THREADS