P4 CPU running too hot

Indicators show my new P4 2.80C running around 60C/141F and the system
temp at about 41C/105F. This is hotter than my previous setups have
run, including the P4 2.4 I replaced. I'm using the retail package
heatsink/fan with the included thermal pad.

Assuming the mobo software (MSI 865PE Neo2-P) is reporting correctly,
what can I do to get the CPU down to the mid 40s C? Any suggestions
for adequate heatsink/fan combos? Also, is a fan suggested for the
chipset?

I may want to OC at some point, but there's no way I'd consider that
unless I can get the temps down.

TIA!

Larc

Try cleaning the pad off of the cpu with isopropol alcohol (or finger nail
polish remover) and a lint free rag or a coffee filter. and use something
like Artic Sliver5 thermal paste instead.

Instructions here on how to apply it ->
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Larc wrote:
> Indicators show my new P4 2.80C running around 60C/141F and the system
> temp at about 41C/105F. This is hotter than my previous setups have
> run, including the P4 2.4 I replaced. I'm using the retail package
> heatsink/fan with the included thermal pad.

If the case is at or near 41C, your room must be quite warm to start off
with. Your case needs airflow. Minimum of one 80mm front intake and one 80mm
rear exhaust.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:03:34 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

| Larc wrote:
| > Indicators show my new P4 2.80C running around 60C/141F and the system
| > temp at about 41C/105F. This is hotter than my previous setups have
| > run, including the P4 2.4 I replaced. I'm using the retail package
| > heatsink/fan with the included thermal pad.
|
| If the case is at or near 41C, your room must be quite warm to start off
| with. Your case needs airflow. Minimum of one 80mm front intake and one 80mm
| rear exhaust.

2 front 80mm and 1 rear. The room is currently 74F (23.3C).

I just learned there are some issues with the mobo and its temp
reporting. A recent BIOS update that was supposed to cure the problem
evidently didn't for everybody.

Larc

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:46:12 -0500, "BigStan"
<stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote:

| Try cleaning the pad off of the cpu with isopropol alcohol (or finger nail
| polish remover) and a lint free rag or a coffee filter. and use something
| like Artic Sliver5 thermal paste instead.

Although I've learned the mobo may be misreporting temps, I'll
probably do that anyway. This is my first CPU in a long time with the
supplied thermal pad.

Larc

Larc wrote:
> 2 front 80mm and 1 rear. The room is currently 74F (23.3C).
>
> I just learned there are some issues with the mobo and its temp
> reporting. A recent BIOS update that was supposed to cure the problem
> evidently didn't for everybody.

That's sounds reasonable. Load the CPU to 100% and see if it produces any
errors or throttles down.

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:33:04 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote:

>Indicators show my new P4 2.80C running around 60C/141F and the system
>temp at about 41C/105F. This is hotter than my previous setups have
>run, including the P4 2.4 I replaced. I'm using the retail package
>heatsink/fan with the included thermal pad.
>
>Assuming the mobo software (MSI 865PE Neo2-P) is reporting correctly,
>what can I do to get the CPU down to the mid 40s C? Any suggestions
>for adequate heatsink/fan combos? Also, is a fan suggested for the
>chipset?
>
>I may want to OC at some point, but there's no way I'd consider that
>unless I can get the temps down.

This is normally a cool chip. The stock Intel HS-fan works great, and keeps
mine very cool.

You have 1 of 3 problems:

**Your computer case is trapped in dead air, such as a cubby hole in a desk.
The case needs to be out in the open, and the exhaust fans not blocked.

**Your Heat Sink is not making full contact with the chip... it's tilted or
cocked. (not likely with the brutal P4 HS-fan clamping system)

**The temp is being mis-reported. Simply put your finger on the top of the
case. If it's cool, then put your finger on the HS. The HS should feel
pretty darn hot at 140F. If the HS is only lukewarm, your chip is lying
about the temp.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:46:12 -0500, "BigStan"
> <stanguinn@comcast.NOSPAM.net> wrote:
>
> | Try cleaning the pad off of the cpu with isopropol alcohol (or finger
nail
> | polish remover) and a lint free rag or a coffee filter. and use
something
> | like Artic Sliver5 thermal paste instead.
>
> Although I've learned the mobo may be misreporting temps, I'll
> probably do that anyway. This is my first CPU in a long time with the
> supplied thermal pad.
>
> Larc

That's a good idea anyway... Also you might want to try MotherboardMonitor 5
to see if it reports anything different, although it might not, if its a
bios issue. But its a great prog anyway.

--

Good Luck!
BB