P4 & Geforce 3 Compatability Problems??

G

Has anybody else heard of this?
One of my suppliers has recommended that nobody with a P4 buys a Geforce 3 at the moment cos of compatabiliy problems
Here is a link but this will ONLY BE THE CORRECT PAGE ON 01/06/2001, it is a daily changed page .....
<A HREF="http://www.scan.co.uk/today.htm" target="_new">http://www.scan.co.uk/today.htm</A>

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, what a retard vendor.

There is no compatability problem. its the supplied drivers with that card and the visiontek Geforce3. The actual problem is that the driver does not uphold the max monitor frequency on some plug and play monitors. It will appear the machine has locked up and screen goes blank or scrambled. but with a decent monitor you get the message "out of scan range" or something close.
But it seems like he may be trying to make more AMD sales using this scare tactic but the same problem will happen with AMD because its a driver problem. 50% or higher will never see the problem with a decent monitor.

This has nothing to do with the Pentium 4, and the new 12.40 drivers fix that stupid problem.

Did you notice the ISDN modems on sale?
Prices exclude p&p and V.A.T. @ 17.5%

I use a P4 and a Geforce3 at home, rock solid ass kicker.
I started playing counterstrike but there are too many cheaters to play the game normally.
I clean house at Q3
Picked up a copy of Delta Force land warrior, plays very nice, less cheaters, more realistic as far as ballistics and open terrain.
Got tired of Black and White fast, got to the point where you pick your creature, I beat the crap out of the monkey to 100% and he will not die (soooo funny it will have you crying on the floor). Every option turned on at max detail.
I picked up a copy of UT, but I have not had a chance to playit yet.

Now that I got my P4 im starting to get into games more, except for the damn cheaters. makes we want to setup sniffer and capture some IP's to nuke.

Anyone suggest any other games to try? Im looking for eye candy stuff, bummer B&W sucked as a real game for anyone over the age of 8.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I've quite impressed by Tribes 2. You might like it if you are into the whole multiplayer experience.

I'm told it looks quite nice on a speedy system.
On my P3 550 with TNT2 it looks like trash, but still quite fun to play.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But it seems like he may be trying to make more AMD sales using this scare tactic but the same problem will happen with AMD because its a driver problem.
so he's the anti-Fugger? lol
funny how the tables have turned isn't it? you're the one denying compatibility problems...
Now that I got my P4 im starting to get into games more, except for the damn cheaters. makes we want to setup sniffer and capture some IP's to nuke.
yea, thats why I don't like playing online as much as I thought I would.
friggin custom BS maps on games where they aren't ACTUALLY cheating make it highly unfair to anyone other than the map maker. everyone makes maps/levels that are so damn easy it isn't funny. does no one else like to play for a challenge?

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ill pick up a copy of tribes2 today. other people here say its good on P4/Geforce3.

I saw some pictures to a game called planetside, made by sony online. not available yet but looks very very very nice. Another link from that planetside was Star Wars online, that fricken looks like video clips from the movie. the quality of the models are so high.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
You may want to try out Sacrifice. It's got some really unique graphic styles. It's also a fast paces RTS type game.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Tribes2 is a fantastic game. I wouldn't suggest it for the casual gamer who just likes to have a few pub games now and then, but if you're into joining a team and playing competitively, it is truly a wonderful game.

I've been playing competitively in Tribes and now T2 for the past 2 years. My copies of Q3 and UT collected dust in favor of Tribes, and now with T2 out I don't play anything else :)

But yeah... Tribes2 still has some major issues, which are being patched as rapidly as possible. It was released early with truly ridiculous bugs, probably forced by Sierra who wanted some quick sales. If you've got a kickass system like an Athlon 1G + Ge2/3 or P4 + Ge2/3, the game will play great. And best of all, cheating has been one of the hardest things to do in Tribes/Tribes2. Every time a possible cheat came out in T1, it was instantly slammed down with a patch, such as replacing models of flags with different client side models for increased visiblity. With T2 it looks like the developers are patrolling feedback weekly for any hint of cheats to be stamped out.

And even though not much of the sdk has been released for the mod-makers, there are still quite a few people already in the process of creating some interesting looking modifications and total conversions.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ja, Sacrifice is pretty sw33t. Giants: Citizen Kabuto has similar style graphics, but Giants still isn't quite stable =/. Giants kept a bit more of the "Earthworm Jim" affectations though. :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No problems with my P4/GeForce3 ... seems like a really good combination to me!

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

G

I'm a curious little guy, and I'm dying to know why you went Intel. Just curious, honest; I'm not AMD zealot, HONEST!

A nice day to all.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
QUIET!

heh, been playing Tribes 2, no problems at all other than I have to turn all options to max detail and turn down mouse sensitivity to 1.5 in order to keep from turning too fast. FSAA is at 4x4 too.

Nice game, good graphics.

Adjust your filter to the region your in, number of players, and so on to get that damn list down from several thousand to a few dozen servers each time its fired up.

Im in Las Vegas at the Luxor today, heading over to the Hard Rock Hotel where Intel is throwing a private party. I cannot remember who the music was. some geezer band from the 60's.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know what you mean ... I'm neither pro or anti AMD or Intel. Although I do have some grievances against VIA, but that's not processor-related!

I originally decided to give AMD a try. I liked the benchmarks, I liked the specs, I liked the price. And I wanted to avoid RDRAM if possible, because I like deciding for myself what kind of RAM I'm going to use.

Unfortunately, the system was unstable as hell, right from the beginning, and got it progressively worse as time went by. It turned out to be a combination of things, mostly power-related.

To make a long story short, the system finally committed suicide after eight months, despite the fact that I had replaced the video card, memory, and installed two additional power supplies, all in the name of keeping the darn thing running. No thanks to the warranty company, which did everything possible to ignore me. When the hard drive died ... I gave up.

In the meantime, I did a tremendous amount of homework on the subject ... partly in an attempt to locate the source of the problem, and partly in order to fight the Alienware technicians with verified data in hand. Eventually, this led to a long conversation with the CEO of the company, who agreed to replace the machine.

Obviously, I went the other route for the replacement, and chose an Intel platform.

I don't think that AMD is really going to make the kind of headway they need to dominate the market until they can afford to fabricate their own chipsets and motherboards without reliance on another company. Turning to VIA for the majority of the motherboards that shipped was just not a good idea. I think that it is likely that if I had been able at the time to purchase a system with an AMD chipset that full supported the Thunderbird, I'd still have the computer. In July of last year, that chipset didn't exist.

It's interesting to note that the CEO of Alienware admitted that there had been an unusual number of problems with these kinds of systems; everything from compatibility issues with other kinds of hardware, to actual damage to system components from faulty power leads on many early VIA boards. Not to mention the tons of problems people were having when playing games coupled with GeForce cards ... it was practically an epidemic.

And that's why my current computer is Intel. It's very stable, never locks up, plays every game I have installed, and allows me to USE the computer again, instead of forcing me to spend every single day troubleshooting something new. That can get very old after a while.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>