P4 Heatsink which one

pjc86

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
Hey guys, I have heard a lot of nightmares, not only on this sight,but on others about freezing during games. So i took the advice of many of the experts here and am looking to cover all ends. My case is an antec SX1040 with a 400 watt power supply. I have two case fans and am even thinking of cutting a blowhole next to the graphics card. Now I want to know what is the very best P4 socket 478 heatsink. Also can anyone give me any ideas on airflow in the case. And finally (sorry for all the questions) am i doing everything I can to prevent freezing. I am buying the Abit BD-7 RAID Mobo, crucial ram, SB Live 5.1 Value. Will I have a problem. Thanks guys.

PJC86

Tom's R O C K ' S

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You seem to choose only the quality parts and I think the retail heatsink is good enough. It looked easy to install and powerful enough to cool the small Northwood. There's Alpha 8045's P4 version but... I feel it's just waste of money.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i dont see why you cant use the P4's stock heatsink and fan...it's one of the very best fans out there(unless you have an oem P4)...
anyways...i think theres a heatsink called alpha pal or something along that line thats good.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
FYI, I have my stock heatsink cooling a P4 ~2.5 @ 1.8v (actually a little less than that). No problems.

Don't worry about using something other than the stock heatsink. Your Live is about the only thing left that might cause instability.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't get the Live. If you want stability, I think you'd be better off with something else. I'm sure there are pleanty of suggestions comming soon.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hercules Game Theater XP is an excelent sound solution if you don't mind an external sound box. Its excelent for what its made for, and if you've got an interesting setup you can even run 6.1 speakers (although not much supports 6.1 sound)
I also read on the hardocp review of the 1.6 Northwoods and overclocking, that the AVC Sun flower is a VERY good cooler. Supposedly the Alpha is a tad better though, for an extra couple dollars I'd spring for the Alpha. If your not planning on overclocking the stock heat sink will be perfectly fine though, aparently its even good if you do decide to dable in overclocking.

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FYI, I have my stock heatsink cooling a P4 ~2.5 @ 1.8v
What is the original speed of your CPU? I'm curious how much your CPU is overclocked :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's a 1.6A, sorry. There's a lengthy thread about it in the CPU OCing forum.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz about the same thing as the Hercules GTXP without the extra bells and whistles on the external box?

Whatcha gonna do when the trolls run wild on you?!?!?!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea I'm pretty sure both cards have the same sound processing chip, so if you don't need all the extra Ins and Outs that the Game Theater XP offers then that Santa Cruz is another choice that'll keep you away from Creative if thats what you want. Hercules also offers the Fortissimo II and the Muse which are also supposedly good cards. I personally havn't used either but have read reviews from various web sites saying they are good for the casual to hardcore gamer. Then theres the Phillips Acoustic Edge series of sound cards which are also supposed to be decent.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, it's the same DSP.

Philips has three cards, the Seismic Edge, Rhythmic Edge and Acoustic Edge. I own a Seismic Edge, and it's a piece of crap. The Acoustic edge has a slightly different DSP though, and I've heard good things about it.

G

Actually Intel is going to (or has already) has switched to AVC Sunflover as the stock heatsink for it's boxed P4's. Talk about quality ...

I'm not sure if it is only the 2.2A and 2.4A that's equipped with the AVC Sunflower.

/Copenhagen

FatBurger

Illustrious
They already have, about 3 weeks ago they started shipping it with all Northwoods.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So you think newer 1.6 GHz Northwoods will come with an AVC Sun Flower?
I hope so, that'd save me a good $45 if I sell my CPU, MOBO, and HSF and go to the dark side :smile:

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
The Acoustic edge has a slightly different DSP though, and I've heard good things about it.
I've had the Acoustic Edge for about a year now and I think it's excellent. It sounds great and I haven't had any problems. The worst thing about it is that the Philips website sucks when you try to find drivers or anything.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I hope so, that'd save me a good $45 if I sell my CPU, MOBO, and HSF and go to the dark side
Aww, man, another defector to the dark side. AMD better hurry up and get the T'bred out.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey the dark side is quite enticing, in Jedi Knight II the dark side is sweet, theres just something about dark honeys that makes them so attractive, and well massive free performance with intel overclocking isn't to shabby either.
Maybe I should hold off for thoroughbred though. Thing is though, if I get this Pentium 4 now I won't have trouble selling it in the future because some grandma will remember those blue guys and pentium 4 and think that it'll be good for everything she does.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
it will be... as long as the grandma doesn't play games, render movies or other non-regular tasks...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do you know anything about the Seismic Edge II? I believe Philips dumped the old PS704 DSP and replaced it with the PS705 and it is now a 5.1 system.

I'll speculate that there must be a revamped Acoustic Edge on the way, as well, because on PriceWatch the new Seismic Edge seems to be priced about the same as the old Acoustic Edge.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I haven't heard about that, hopefully it fixed at least part of the problem. I doubt it fixed it completely though.

TRENDING THREADS