AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
check out the Pee4 peeing on a kneelling Athlon.

I guess you can call the P4 the "RawHead Rex" of the cpu world, wake him up and he'll piss on you!

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/intel/p417/index.html" target="_new">baptised!</A>

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

I don't know about you but to me those benchmarks looked like they were about equal (on average).

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let's look at the results:

- Athlon 1.52 beats Pentium 4 1.7 and 2.1 in SysMark in Win2K and Win 98.

- Athlon 1.33 beats Pentium 4 1.7 and 2.1 in SysMark in Win98, and Pentium 4 1.7 in Win2K.

- Pentium 4 beats Athlon in WebMark2001, although the Athlon 1.53 comes *close* to the Pentium 4 1.7 under Win98.

- Athlon 1.33 beats Pentium 4 1.7 and 2.1 by large margin in 3D Winbench CPU test under Win98 and Win2K.

- Athlon 1.53 performs almost equal to Pentium 4 2.1 (although beats Pentium 4 1.7) in 3DMark2000, and Athlon 1.33 performs almost equal to Pentium 4 1.7, although the Pentium 4 does perform slightly better (less than 1%).

- Athlon 1.53 performs almost equal to Pentium 4 2.1 in 3DMark2000, and Athlon 1.33 performs almost equal to Pentium 4 1.7, although the Athlon does perform slightly better (between 1% and 2%).

- Pentium 4 beats Athlon in Quake 3 in Win98, but in Win2K the Athlon 1.53 performs almost equal to Pentium 4 1.7.

- In DroneZ GeForce 3, all CPUs perform relatively equal (within 1%-2%). In DroneZ GeForce 2, the 2.1 Pentium 4 beats the Athlon, although with bump mapping enabled the Athlon 1.53 performs close to the Pentium 4 1.7.

By the data, it seems like they perform fairly equal in most tests, with the Athlon coming out on top in some and the Pentium 4 coming out on top in others. Not to mention the Pentium 4 is carrying a 200-600 mHz advantage over the faster Athlon (13%-39% higher clock), and 366-766 mHz advantage over the slower Athlon (27%-57% higher clock), and performing not that much better. AmdMeltdown why do you refuse to look at the data and see it for what it is?

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what do you think those scores show?
it takes P4 to run at 2.1G to come close to or just about overtake Athlon.

And what if Athlon itself runs at 2.1 GHz? How fast will P4 will need to run?

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
Wow... I don't see anything like that... looks more like a $372 1700MHz CPU getting beat by a $194 1333MHz CPU in at least half of the tests, and Breaking about even with it in most others. There are Benchmarks in which they pummel each other equally, however the 1333MHz CPU look real good here. Now... noting that I didn't mention any names, Which CPU looks superior just when looking at the Price/Performace here?

--Fltsimbuff

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For those interested in P4 overclocking

P4 1.5 Ghz will do 1975Mhz @ 132FSB (yes i know its really 131.66666666) with decent cooling

P4 1.5Ghz will do 1680Mhz @ 112FSB out of the box and stock HSF installed.

Highest I have posted was 2.1ghz but did not boot.

So 475Mhz over stock is not too shabby =)

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Thanks for this post - as I was just saying - it makes it sooo much easier to discredit you as the mindless moron you are when you do it to yourself without prompting. :smile:

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Who will ever notice the difference...

<i><font color=purple>Running within specs is the key to a stable computer!</font color=purple></i>
<font color=red>LRMV</font color=red>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im really tired of the same benchmarks over and over.

Its new technology/architecture and its still maturing.

P4 is very stable and durable unlike AMD.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
P4 is stable and durable? You and Meltdown need to stop hitting the crack pipe. A year from now when the P4 is still be abused by the Athlon and totally destroyed by the Hammer family will the two of you still be singing the same old tune? Put the pipe down!

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I think the benchmarks pretty much speak for themselves, but there is way more to it than that. The Pentium4 can deliver you one of the fastest gaming boxes on the planet. Then again, the expense of the CPU, the board, the Rambus, the new PSU might just outweigh the performance increases in those applications. Lump on top of that Intel is close to getting rid of Rambus and going with DDR and soon the CPU socket will change, further limiting your upgrades... You guys are tweakers and DIY kinda folks. It is not hard to see where I am going with this.

I still don't have a problem suggesting a Pentium4 to someone that will never open their computer case, but if you think that you will even be upgrading your Ram at some time in the future, the P4 is not the way to go from the expense of Rambus alone. On the other hand, the AMD CPUs hold their own (I know, I use one every day), are very upgrade friendly, and are getting notoriously inexpensive.

We speak to hundreds of computer users every week here at the [H] and I can count the ones that I am aware of building a Pentium4 system on one hand. The platform is simply not being accepted outside the OEM market. AMD is coming on strong in retail markets and I think Intel is becoming very aware of this, as this has surely triggered some of the recent price cuts we have heard about. Not seen yet at a retail level, though.

One thing that has surprised me is that we have not seen a lot of mainstream software that has been optimized for the P4. When we did our original article back in November of last year, this was one of the things we were hoping to see. The software industry would hopefully adapt around this new CPU architecture. I remember seeing "MMX Enhanced" stamped on everything under the Sun when the technology was new for a while, but we have yet to see ANYTHING at our local software dealer with an "SSE2 Enhanced" or similar sticker. I know project completion times may possibly run years for software, but still it surprises me to see no company pick it up and run with it. Considering that paired with the almost inability to purchase an OEM P4 CPU, and the P4 looks even bleaker.

Still, I look at the P4 and really appreciate some of its obvious talents. But unless you are doing something with it that the P4 is specifically suited to, I don't see laying down your hard earned green for one if you want to build or upgrade the box yourself.

even the people doing the reviews don't suggest that everyone go out and buy a P4. so why don't we just admit that both company's make damn good chips depending on your use and budget. just give up trying to persuade everyone that the P4 is so much better than the athlon or vice-versa. if you like Intel i am very happy for, If you like AMD same thing why dony we just let everyone use there own preference w/o trying to convince them that we know best.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get the name Duron, for the durable processor - and it is durable, currently it has the longest upgrade path, from Duron 600 to Athlon 1.33 GHz, expected to rise to 4+ GHz (and that too without changing your motherboard - at least upto ~3 GHz).
P4 architechture will surely live quite long, but frequent change in its socket wont let it remain stable, its a big liability to get a new motherboard everytime a new P4 comes out.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can anyone say worthless rant? I don't know about you but to me it looks like it takes a P4 running @ 2.1GHz to equal an Athlon running @ 1.3.
P4 - $380
Athlon - $195

Difficult choice? Not really.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I said durable, not disposable. there is a difference.

AMD is disposable

"its a big liability to get a new motherboard everytime a new P4 comes out."

Only mobo change will be when northwood is released for those who chose to upgrade. 423 Adapter will be available to use existing processors in the new socket.

NOT a new mobo every time a P4 is released

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"THE P4 OWNS!!!
AMD Pups, you better know your role!!!"

I know we were all young at some point, but hearing this 14-year old rant is just worthless to me.

G

LOL 'snoop, 14 is a hard age... I can remember it, I got in alotta trouble then...He'll be over it by the time he's 16 or 17. :) Personally I look at price/performance. The Athlon has a far better price/performance ratio than the P4. The P4 has very sad performance for a faster Mhz. CPU. It should crush the Tbird 1.33 with a 377 MHZ difference in CPU speed. Remember when the P2 could beat the K6-2 hands down at the same speeds? Thats how the P4 SHOULD be. But, admit it, the Tbird is superior! :)

Aklein

Life is hard...Live with it.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the old chip (423 pins) can use an adapter to work in the new socket (478 pins), then why would Intel need to change the number of pins in the first place? Sounds like wishful thinking (hoping).

Explain please.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have an interesting way of interpreting bar charts.

When I read the article this morning, I expected to see TBIRDINSIDE boasting of the performance of the Athlon! After all, 400Mhz less and yet the chips are about on par.

I hope you are never selected for a jury. You can't see the facts when they are dangling in front of your face. Did you think O.J. was innocent? Hell with the facts and evidence, right?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, going by your definitions, the platform as a whole is durable! disposable are the processors so to say, since they come cheap and scare the hell out of bigger ones.
my Duron 600 performs almost at par with another P-III 550 I have in my office. and that cost me about Rs.6000 cheaper.(abt US$ 130) and I have an option to get a Tbird 1.2 GHz (my board doesnt support 133 MHZ FSB (I bought it long back) although I can make it run at 133) and could still go on since there are no news that Athlon Palomino or Thoroughbred will need a socket change.

and whats about 478/423 convertor? I never heard about that... btw you need a 423/478 convertor to avoid board upgrades, I guess people will want their current board to run newer processors, not a newer board to run older ones. :)

girish

G

Doh i missed a big fight. Oh well later monkeys.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"423 Adapter will be available to use existing processors in the new socket."</font color=blue>

No response. As I thought.

Just another Fabricated Fugger Fact (FFF for short).

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Whats happening man? The FFF's are getting kinda rare now! He's losing his fabricating abilities!

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>