p4 or p4 mobile

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
heres my situtation at the moment i have a 2ghz celeron@2.67ghz and my question is would a mobile p4 cpu fit in a desktop skt478 board and if it did i might be able to get a cheap 2ghz mobile cpu..which is better option mobile cpu or a celeron..I know a full fledge p4 is better option than celeron but im tempted to get the 2ghz mobile if it will work and would it be possible to oc it?

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
No, a mobile P4 will not work on a desktop S478 board.

Btw, keep in mind that an Athlon XP 1700+ can rip apart your CPU in games. It is better to always do a little research before buying, <b>especially</b> when it comes to PCs.

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
the board and cpu i got now was free so i wasnt going to complain and i dont want to mess about getting new board and cpu just upgrade cpu for time being as money flow is tight

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
get a Xeon socket 603-604 pin mainboard and buy a Pentium-M 1.7ghz or model Pentium-M 755. That [-peep-] will rock.

-------
(2x512mb) 1GB DDR333 Dual Channel
INTEL Pentium 4 2.8B
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
38,476 Aquamarks

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
are you sure about that? i think i saw a while back some people who put a pentium 4m into a desktop mobo to see if they would get unlocked multis. I remember it working out, only the cpu booted with like a 10x multi or something like that.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
ANY P4 would be a far better solution than just about ANY celeron. But I'm not sure mobile P4s (or celerons)will work, someone else claimed it won't, I don't know, could be true.

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, your board supports 800 MHz FSB, so there is nothing to stop you from buying a cheap P4B or C, or maybe even the 2.4 P4E and overclock the hell out of it. Even without overclocking, you'll get a spectacular preformance increase because the Celeron is such an incredible piece of [-peep-], regardless of its clock. A celeron, even at 2.6 GHz, performs on average about half as good as a barton 2500+, and it gets utterly destroyed even by a Duron 1.6. Its probably considerably slower than a good P3 on a lot of things. Avoid it, at all costs (including free).

OTOH, if you overclock a P4B/C 2.4 or P4E 2.4 to ~3 GHz -which should be pretty easy, you would actually be increasing your performance roughly by a factor <b>3</b>. I wouldnt hesitate a second, get a P4 since you already have the MB. Don't ever, EVER buy a Celeron (unless perhaps the Banias based Celeron-M). Even if you overclock it to over 4 GHz, it will still be a piss poor performer.

In case you think I'm exagerating, check out <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=16" target="_new"> this review</A>. try extrapolate and you'll see even a 10 Ghz Celeron would be poor at mostly anything except maybe DivX encoding. Its not even worth overclocking.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
oops, seems I misread. I thought you where considering a mobile cerelon to replace your current one, but you're considering a mobile P4. I have no real answer to your question here, besides the fact that I doubt a mobile part would be worth the extra $$$, unless you are *very* concerned about heat/noise. Low end northwoods, even the desktop parts are great overclockers, I wouldnt look too hard at the mobile parts if I where you. I'd probably go for a P4 2.4B or E/533 ($128/$140 on pricewatch) and overclock it as far as it goes, which should be fairly high in both cases.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it will fit. Anandtech put a mobile P4 on one of thier SiS 655 chipset boards to test 200MHz bus speeds, before the "800" bus P4's were released. And it does drop to a lower multiplier.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech says a mobile P4 WILL work on a desktop board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Really? I apologise for my mistake then! I thought I had read somewhere that this could not be done but I guess I could be wrong about this.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't have had an answer, except that Anandtech did that story around a year ago (give or take a couple months).

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
Thanks crashman would the mobile p4 be better option than the celeron(dumb question i guess)even with the lower multiplier and would it oc easy?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably, I believe the Anandtech article showed the Celeron 2400 to be slower than all the P4's they tested against it. I wouldn't spend money on the P4 Mobile though, I'd just get a standard desktop P4 if you have a desktop board to put it in.

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
i would rather go desktop version anyway but as Ive said cash is bit tight at moment...so I might see if i can get a 1.8 with the 512 L2 cache and oc cos either way at stock or oc i know it will be better than my cely 2ghz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It seems like a mobile P4 would be more expensive than a desktop P4.

My friend has had his 1.8A at 2.4B speed for 2 years, simply by changing the bus speed from 100MHz (400 bus) to 133MHz (533 bus).

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
yeah just read that on anandtech thats why i thought about tryin to get a cheap 1.8 maybe 2 but with the northwood core

TRENDING THREADS