P4 Prescott and Abit VI-7

Shrike

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
Hello,

I have a 2.4ghz P4 Prescott and an Abit VI-7 mainboard. I can't get the two to work together despite flashing the mainboard bios up to the latest version. Has anyone managed to get the board to work with that chip? The vendor I bought from told me that they are compatible with a bios upgrade.

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you need a BIOS upgrade to use the Prescott, you need another CPU to do the upgrade. It's a crap board anyway, take it back and buy an IS7 from a better place.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since the February BIOS release it's been compatable, any decent supplier should have boards pre-programed with compatable BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
A via board? You poor boy.
Just the same, it should post. Try taking it out of the case, and use only graphics card with monitor, chip with hsf power supply connections (bothe) and one stick of ram. Use a jumper on the power button jumpers, to start. If that gets it to work, add components until it fails, et voala.

Shrike

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
I flashed the board BIOS using a borrowed P4 Northwood, which worked just fine before and after the flash. I'll try stripping the board down to get it to post, but I think in the end I'll just send the Prescott back and get a Northwood.

Oh and buy the way i bought the VI-7 because it was very cheap and the machine is a budget machine for someone :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shrike on 06/22/04 11:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you can't afford an Intel chipset for the P4, buy SiS. SiS is both cheaper and superior to VIA. Some VIA chipset BOARDS are cheaper, even though they cost more to produce, simply because companies are trying to get rid of them and sell them at a loss.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and you remember I said it would be :smile: