P4 prescott on northwood mothrboard? Will it work

mystvearn

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I am very curious of will a p4 800mhz work on a 533mhz motherboard. Clearly the pins are the same. The micron's are the same. Going to http://processorfinder.intel.com/ revealing that the
3.20 GHz 800 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2
is almost the same as
3.06 GHz 533 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2
Since its hard enough getting that p4 3.06ghz, so a simple solution will be to use the 3.2ghz.
And to make it more interesting,using a E7205 chipset(granite bay mobo). Will this work?
I have not come upon a strong anwser on why 800mhz p4 could not work on 533mhz, since everything else is the same. Thanks.

endyen

Splendid
To start, the P4e running on a 133/533 fsb would only run at 2.1 ghz, so unless you use some great chipset cooling, and OC like a banshee, the price is too high for such ppp.
Next, the scotties dont perform as well as the P4c with a 200/400 fsb so criple it with a 133 bus, and you have a lemon.
The biggy is that the mobo does not meet the Intel voltage requirements for prescott. Not only would the board supply a higher voltage, which would send the power, and heat through the roof, but the 7205 boards only supply 100 watts through the pwm cct. The draw from a prescott at normal voltage would fry them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The biggy is that the mobo does not meet the Intel voltage requirements for prescott.
WRONG! He didn't ask about the Prescott, he asked about two Northwood processors!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry someone didn't read your post before providing an answer.

The answer is, your motherboard has a clock generator that supplies the bus clock signal. 800 bus uses a 200MHz clock signal, 533 bus uses a 133MHz clock signal. The bus simply transfers data 4 times per clock signal to give you the higher numbers.

Now, for all of this to work, you need a few things:
1.) A clock generator that supports the higher bus speed
2.) A chipset that provides the proper ratios of PCI and AGP bus to CPU bus.
3.) A chipset that runs stabley at the higher bus speed.

And the 3rd part is the problem. Some 7205 chipsets ran fine at 200MHz clock, some didn't. It was luck of the draw. Some boards helped to stabilize it, others didn't. At any rate, you're overclocking the chipset from 133MHz to 200MHz.

The good news is, most 7205 boards won't recognise the 800 bus's pin difference (yes there is a difference as to which pins are grounded and which aren't). Because of that, an 800 bus P4 likely WILL work in your board, but at 533 bus.

What that means is that a 3.2GHz P4 would be running at only 2133MHz. Is that a good deal?

Of course you could overclock your board to support the 3.2GHz processor's higher bus speed. That is, if your board supports overclocking in that manner. But it might not be stable.

Even if it were stable, do you have PC3200 memory to match that bus speed? Or would you be forced to use a lower memory ratio and give up your performance gain?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Xeon have been using P4 cores for a while, so the P4 can use Xeon chipsets and vice versa, depending on what socket the board maker uses.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, yes, maybe you should have called him on it. This is beginning to look like an accumulation of mistakes, maybe a cluster****

mystvearn

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Thanks, fully understand it now. So no point in getting a prescott then, and finding one 3.06ghz 533mhz on ebay is expansive enough.

Just eager enough to experience the HT higher processors have. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mystvearn on 12/22/04 06:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The two processors you referred to in your post were both Northwoods. .13 microns, 512k cache, are only found on the Northwood version of the P4. The Northwood was available at all 3 common bus speeds (400, 533, 800). If you can't afford a new board and PC3200 memory, and you can't afford the 3.06 either, I'd forget about HT.

eBay doesn't always have reasonable prices! I've found CPU's from an online retail liquidator (Compgeeks) selling for under $100, then going for over $200 on eBay. It's because a lot of people don't know how much a part is really worth and only have store prices to compare with. Pricewatch list them new for $265, but you might be able to find them cheaper if you look hard enough.

mystvearn

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
And there is no way to buy itdirectly of Intel? I did find some 3.06, but shipment US only. I'm residing in Asia, and those that ship worldwide are few and expansive. Been to pricewatch, there to also expansive. Used CPU is fine with me. Know any sites?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't do Asia.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I dont think Intel make the 3.06Ghz CPU anymore. I have seen a few on Ebay. Why not get a 3.0Ghz northwood and an Abit IS7? Cant be too expensive now and the 3.0Ghz will be easier to find.

mystvearn

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Here is my current system:
MSI GNB MAX e7205
p4 2.8ghz 533mhz Thermaltake pipe101-Vantec Tornado 92mm,
1.5gb DDR 266 RAM (512X2, 256X2)
inno3d GF6800GT(NVsilencer 5)
4 HD (3 IDE, 1 SATA) 2 IDE on primary IDE, 1 IDE, on RAID. 1 Sata on RAID, 0+1 I think, but I can use it anywhere else.
TDK 1616N DVDRW 4XDL, SONY CDRW,
Other stuff:
vantec fan card, Thermaltake hardcano 12, thermaltake Xpeaker,
3 PCI bracket(that comes with the board)
1 firewire bracket
1 SPIDF audio
1 D-bracket(a monitoring system)
480W thermaltake butterfly PSU.

All that in the Tsunami dream case.

Now finding any motherboards that can support at least 4(3 IDE), looking for 5 hd(3 IDE, 2 SATA), and 2 optical drives.

If there is a motherboard that has the same specifications, pluss onboard sound, onbard ethernet controller, than its fine with me. But I think my choices are quite limited.