P4 prescott problem

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
Well i built my pc about 4-6 months ago and it has been running fine .. little warm but still no problems .. last night when i was playing a game .. my computer starting beeping which i looked at the temp and it was at 80Cso i shut the computer down and checked the fans and everything.. everything was running good .. so i started it back up .. same thing .. runs 50-55C idle .. then 75+ playing a game .. so i said screw it ill take the heatsink and fan off and put new compound and stuff in it .. took the cpu out .. and it slipped out of my hand i got it before it hit the floor lol but my fingers touch the bottom of the cpu and had a finger print on it .. so for some damn reason i get 99% alcohol and a Q-tip and remove the fingerprint any way i put it back in .. put the compound on it .. and fan and heatsink .. went to turn pc on .. all lights and fans work .. but nothing on the screen then it shuts off after about 20 seconds .. then i redid the compound and fan again .. it booted ..showed bios and everything .. then 10 seconds or less it shut down .. so i turned it back on .. nothing comes on the screen but fans and lights work .. so what i wanna know is .. me touching the cpu .. and using alcohol on it .. could i of fried it ? :(

endyen

Splendid
Neither the fingerprint, nor the alchohol should cause your problem.
Is this a s478 chip, or a s775 chip?
Take the chip out again, look at the underside to make sure everything is OK, then put it back in very carefully.

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
if thats not the problem what could it be lol it was working perfect till i changed the compound

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
also just took it out and it looked ok .. put it back in .. same stuff . every thing works but nothing on the screen.. then it shuts off i think its a 775

endyen

Splendid
S478 is pga (pin grid array) s775 is bga (ball grid array) so it's easy to tell the difference.
If it's pga, look for bent pins. If it's bga, look for black marks, on the socket, and the chip. With bga, it is too easy to off-centre the chip, so make sure the marks line up.

endyen

Splendid
I hope you used some sore of electrical disconnect for all this. ( unplugging, or the back power switch)
This happens sometimes, where people nudge the ram or the graphics card out of place, or half pul out the psu connector. Go through everything, and make sure it's plugged in nicely.
The upside (if you have a retail box chip) is that if the chip is blown, they will probably give you a newer cooler stepping.

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
i always unhook all the cables but the mouse and keybord before i work on it.. always touch the case alot .. i did not hit the cards or the ram i reinstalled it all and still the same thing . ill check the cpu for black marks brb

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Leris on 05/03/05 09:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
i just stripped the pc .. and put the cpu in another mb .. still same junk.. so it has to be something with the cpu but i dont see nothing wrong with it .

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
so if i have to get a cpu that should fix it right ? i dont want to blow 160 bucks on something that wont fix it i dont see why it would not fix it but with my luck lol

endyen

Splendid
When you bought your processor, did it come with a fan? If it did, Intel warranties it for 3 years. Contact them for an rma, and they will ship you a new chip after they have the old one.

Leris

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
yea it came with a fan i just lost the box lol but anyway it works not i dont know why ... i reset the bios . thanks man ;) still is over heating but ill go and buy a water cooling system soon :)

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Is the underside of the CPU smooth or does it have pins sticking out? If its smooth then look in the socket on the MOBO where you place the CPU and there will be pins sticking up in the socket. Look for bent pins in the socket. Also, what type of climate do you live in? If you had built up static electricity by walking across carpet or maybe a rug, and then touched the CPU before you were discharged then you may have damaged it that way.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>