P4 Shortages

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well 2 thing could happen.

1. Intel has sold most of the P4 processors. Making the demand for the P4 has gone up due too price cuts. So intel just made a A$$ load of money. Now there in trouble cause they have no more left. More R & D money for tring to get PC133 and PC2100 to work on Northwood.

2. Since there is a storage of P4 processors. AMD could simply raise there prices. There is no one to compete prices with so AMD will lose money. So bump the prices till P4 stoages are down.

The only nice Intel guy.

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Typical... A smiley face icon and a link to an article about intel being short on 1.7 ghz p4s. How is that in any way a good thing? unless of course you are a AMD lemming who gets some sort of a kick out of intel related problems and feel the need to spout of to every one on a message board at some attempt to draw attention to your self and you faithfullness to a multi-million dollar company that could give 2 sh!ts about you. sheesh, so weak minded. :mad:

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

G

[Sarcasm] Ya! Your completely right, I’m just a computer engineer who doesn’t know anything [Sarcasm]

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, BUT OH CRAP HE"S GOT A GUN!!!!"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Market Share.

(def.)
The percentage by which you control the total available units. Directly proportional to Cash. See also: Bankruptcy, Poor House, Monopoly, God.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
2. Since there is a storage of P4 processors. AMD could simply raise there prices. There is no one to compete prices with so AMD will lose money. So bump the prices till P4 stoages are down.

WHAT?? If there is a shortage of P4 (assuming that no one buys P3's anymore) and AMD raises their prices.. how will they lose money?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This is a bad article. There are no supply issues with any of the Pentium 4 CPUs. Any dealers claiming otherwise are probably trying to have an excuse for having higher prices.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really doubt there are shortages to those extremes. I mean, Intel analysts have actually been saying that P4 sales are much slower than Intel wanted. But, you have to also realize that P4 yields are much lower compared to PIIIs simply because the larger die size (about twice as large as I remember) yields less dies per wafer on the production line. That means even at full capacity, P4 production is much smaller than PIII production. Even if sales are mild, there could be a shortage simply because it's a low yield product. But, that would kinda be a good thing for Intel beause it shows there is a big demand for the P4, but bad at the same time because 4-6 week lead times may make companies switch to cheaper AMD chips that perform on par with P4. Who knows though, I sure don't, I'm just speculating, but it very well may be the truth. Again though, considering Intel has been saying sales for the P4 have not been as expected, I really doubt there is a shortage.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

TRENDING THREADS