P4 the real high-end cpu

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
AS you all know P4 have the best brute power over anything.

1 p4 have win the benchmark over tbird.It depend on the way you see it. Tbird have win the sysmark who include some software like excel,dreamweaver,photoshop.My old comp can easely run excel or word.So the real tests are the game.Even video encoding which i never use anyway.If that take so long to encode (like 5 min) i will sit in front of my comp, even if it take 30 minute i will go watch tv, it's the same for cd writer, i'll take the cheapest, 10min or 30min does'nt really care anyway i will do something else.
So it's all abouth gaming and reliability.

2 We all know that when p4 will have sotware optimise for it he will simply kick the (PEEP) of AMD.

3 when all software will support it, the p4 will be much more powerful. His lifetime is much highier than a t-bird.

5 he cost more, SO WHAT you can keep it longer.

6 warrenty: intel have a super one, P4 is reliable and stable, he dont have a over-heating probleme like AMD does.
I even saw a marchant that rufuse to sell Duron prossesors cause they were much of the time blowing,burning....So they just stop selling thoes cause they were not making money out of it .

7 I dont trust AMD chipset and there mobo.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Pentium 4 not have a heating problem? Really, you should get out a little more. Why do you think intel is nervous about athlon 4. You put a p4 into a lap top and all you will have is an expensive frying pan.

If you are investing in your pc's future performance, then i would seriously suggest taking an introductory course in finance.

-- Chaos is the better order.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Another person with intelitis. I think you'll find the TBirds are better at brute force with the better fpu and all.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
anyway try compare teh clock speeds...
just wait for the athlon 4... mmm... nicely overclocked with a bit of cooling (btw where can i get some 2700 ddr?)

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong

G

I don't understand any of you guys ... why are you always bickering about which CPU is better ..?
Are you working for the company?

For me, so what if Intel P4 or AMD athlon is faster, all I know that for the price right now in the market, I look one suited for my pocket and to get the most of it. If you keep on defending a processor that you own/trying to buy just because you bought it ... that's really sad.

G

Another bozo who's seen one too many Blue Man commercials....

G

I can understand why most people defend a CPU. Most of the time they either work for that company or own stock in it. I can understand why there are so many AMD fanatics.. AMD is alot smaller than Intel and thus the chances of AMD dying are alot greater. AMD fanatics want to see AMD hit 50/50 with Intel so they'll both be fighting it out forever keeping prices low and innovation high. They feel the need to go around trying to convince everyone to switch to AMD. AMD however has awhile to go before it can equal Intel. Intel fanatics I can only guess why they dedicate themselves.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
And whatever processor you pick, it will run all the games and existing applications without difficulties.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I agree. Right or wrong, people take sides. They like an underdog, and AMD definitely fits that role when going against ChipZilla. Some people say it's stupid to argue about Intel vs. AMD, but for a hobbyist the choice of processor is often a highly personal one. It categorizes your computer more than any other component. You don't say "I have an nVidia or ATI system" or "I have a Western Digital or Maxtor system." Rather, the first thing you say is "I have an AMD system" or "I have an Intel system." It's only natural to take sides, since people want to think that the processor they chose is the best. When someone says, for whatever reason, that an AMD or Intel processor is a piece of crap, then you want to defend that processor since it's sitting there inside that computer that you are so proud of. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I think some people are and it seems to be part of what drives the whole AMD/Intel flame wars.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Juin, two suggestions. The first is, if english is your first language, then please try to sound coherent as well as be able to string a sentence together without screwing up tenses, proverbs, and what not. I understand people wanting to take an informal approach to their posting, but you've gone way to far, and you come across as a eight year old child. Now, if english is not your first language, I apologize.

Second I suggest that you at least make an attempt to figure out the different people on the board, as it will only help your cause. That way, you can get a better idea of the responses you will get. You will also learn more about the CPU you're hawking beside the company PR. And also, before you go shooting off your mouth like this, remember that there are many people here who know a lot more about CPUs and programming than you, me, or any other part-time computer enthusiast. So, when you go off about how the P4 is a prime-time CPU, ready to send AMD to an early grave, you would do better to remember that people here have their own preferences, and that each CPU has its own strengths and weaknesses.

The P4 is unable to compete with Athlon's FPU, but the P4 can beat the Athlon sensless in video encoding, or other memory bandwidth intensive applications... and Quake 3, for some odd reason. Also, remember that those benchmarks that you are quoting are using P4 optimized code only, no optimization for the Athlon, so it's an unfair comparison. And also remember that when it comes to real-life applications and performance, unless the difference is ~6-10%, the end-user will not really notice a difference.

Also, to say that the lifetime of the T-bird is shorter than the P4 is false. Right now, as it stands, the life times of both are the same, regardless of "code optimizations." They both are the high-end of the CPU spectrum, and, like any other high-end computer part right now, only has a useful life span of around 24-36 months. Period. Code be damned, CPUs of today will be obsolete (end of usefulness) in 2003, 2004.

Also, you "statement of fact", saying that Intel has a better warrenty/reliability is a blatent lie. Both Intel and AMD have a 3 year warrenty, if you get a boxed CPU. Both Intel and AMD have reliable, stable processors, (not counting older K6-2s or P3 1.13GHz), and both Intel and AMD have chipsets that offer rocksolid stability, but also chipsets that weren't exactly ready for sale.

Anything that "blows" an AMD CPU is sheer user error. If you don't know how to put a heatsink on, you shouldn't do it. Intel has the added measure that if the user is unable to properly affix the HSF, it will shut down. Big deal. Even with Intel, CPUs that don't run because of that are again user error, and the user should not be putting a system together. Now, will a P4 run if the HSF isn't put on right? No, it won't. Now, this is conjecture, but I wonder if the thermal protection is enough to prevent CPU damage to a P4? The P4 runs at near Athlon heat, so it would be a valid question. Sure, it may run afterwards, but will it be unharmed? I don't think it would be.

The idea that a merchant would discontine selling a processor because it required the purchaser to get a new one from that merchant if the killed the first is stupid. I can't think of any merchant who would cover user-incompetence as a reason for a refund or replacement. I know Best Buy won't (Umm... I poured water into my system, and it killed it... will you fix it?) You'd probably be laughed out of the store. A merchant would look at you and say, "why didn't you have someone else do it that knew how?" and proceed to charge you for a new processor.

This went on way too long, but I felt that after reading this post, and others of yours, that I needed to say something before you became yet another lamer (or precieved as) on this board. God only knows that we have more than enough as it is.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
1 my primary language sais le francais (i speak french)

2 when a cpu blow-up or have any probeme that not the marchant who pay it,but the compagny like amd,but dont forget time is money.They must do the shipping and the time he pay his personal.So at the end he pay too.That was my point.

3 If we check actual benchmark on TOMHARDWARE ok AMD win the office,but his the game that really need power.

4 lifetime of a cpu
I use a old p200 who is trully obsolete is really slow,my bro use a p2 300 with a voodoo 2 he still run JOHN MADDEN 2001 easely and BALDUR GATE 2 wich is 2 good game.

5 I dont know for the US but in CAN most of the computer are not package deal like compaq or dell.You go at a store you chosse you cpu....and is done.

G

"1 my primary language sais le francais (i speak french)"

I also speak french.. as my second language.. Dutch is my first. Sorry to say, but i wouldnt go to any German forum to post unreadable, and not very interesting messages. If you have a question, we'll try to help (heck, post in French, I'll be happy to translate). But to post nosensical intel PR in un-understandable English is not going to make you much friends here.

"3 If we check actual benchmark on TOMHARDWARE ok AMD win the office,but his the game that really need power."

If you'd read them, *and* understood them, you'd realize its not the cpu power you need, but its the videocard that determines your gaming satisfaction. *Any* 900+ Mhz cpu will do (maybe even the VIA Cyrix III..). The only difference between a 1 and 1.5 Ghz cpu is almost any game, is timedemos run at 640x480. Nobody plays 640x480 anymore (well not on a P4/Tbird I hope).. and nobody cares wether the system scores 200 or 220 frames per second in that resolution.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
"i have a wester digital or maxtor"
what about IBM? seagate? huh huh huh?
ibm rocks lol
just thought i would be really pedantic for the thousandth time

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

L'Athlon est aussi tres vite. La Pentium 4 est tres cher. Je n'a pas d'argent pour une Pentium 4. C'est dommage!

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Mais non, Juin..

Most computers in Canada are sold as package deals.
Dell, Compaq, Gateway, IPC, Touch, etc.....
with all the CPU is an option.

G

Babelfish right ? what are you trying to say ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

Hi,
I am to prepare an HW about P4 architecure. So i urgently need some knowledge about the topic in a plain english so i can understand. I've already checked out the article in this site. Can you tell me about the other references? Thanks,

G

you're attempt in french is <how you say ?> Merde, don't give up your day job

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
1/2 of the people that bitch about cpus in here haven't even started work yet, let alone own stock!!!!! I think there is one 'outed' Intel employee on the forum, who I happen to think posts very sensibly and believes in the architecture his company uses, one lurking Via chap and no AMD reps? Most pepople on here defend a cpu because they are too brain dead to let it drop and don't have the cognitive capability to post an opinion that is not insulting, childish or plain rude about something of absolutely no value to the computing world at all.

And as a footnote, there are also a lot of non-brain dead grown ups who usually post worthwhile things defending cpus when they really ought to know better. :smile:

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peteb on 05/23/01 11:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>