P4 the real high-end cpu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

"tu madre da buen cabeza"
see. being bilingual is not always a good thing

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You say that the P4 kicks the Athlon a$$ in games?

Yea in quake but what about UT and many others???

Before u make broad statements like that u need to check you facts or have some links to back it up!<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010423/p4-05.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010423/p4-05.html</A> It just makes u loose creditability and when your new u have none so I would say your in the negatives right now.

Thx & cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

panzer

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
Hei do you realy care about what is write on cpu INTEL or AMD. Any cpu over 700Mhz is enough for single user .
Do you realy can feel the difference in games betwin 45 fps and 80 fps ? I use power cpus for linux servers (databases, mail servers, webservers). So duron 750+ deccent mb +256 M = 50$ +100$ +80$ =~230$ what abbout intel prices. If p4 sollutin will be at same price (with athlon instead of duron) i will buy intel may be.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
On the contrary... that was perfect French.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

My IT guy has intelitis, I made him buy an athlon workstation for me over a P3 but he put a huge loud fan on it, so the mobo fan power supply died and after some intensive modelling the processor got hot and crashed - then again a week later on the replacement puter, to AMD's credit both times the computer could be started up again with out trouble once the cpu temp came down to normal. So IT guy swapped it for a P4, you know how the AMD caused the fan to use too much power and blow the supply!!!! :) , anyway the P4 system used what sounded like the same fan and woops what do you know...the fan stopped on that system too !!

By the way I couldn't notice the difference between the two using FEA, CFD or CAD/CAM work.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Finite element analasys and Computational fluid dynamics are very demanding applications where bandwidth wins every time. P4 wins this arena hands down flat out asskicking! next best thing to P4 @ FEA and CFD would be to use a number of SGI boxes in a cluster.

I wish I could post numbers for northwood (NDA) CFD times on a 48 gig model (yes its huge but it will tax the system to max(I like saying that)) I know you have nothing to base the results on other than telling you that a quad r12ka Origin 2000 server running turbolinux is the closest performing (able to beat P4) machine at a ungodly price difference.

Northwood beats up the O2 and Zx10 badly and octane2 is workstation class vis system.

Nice to see some real professionals here for a change.

Side note, we also have a Itanium running CFD by fluent, www.fluent.com makes northwood look like a 8080 @ 4.77Mhz (for those that claim there are no 64bit apps for Itanium, take that and shove it deep)

I build/Install these systems daily.

G

I'm fairly new to the CFD world, is my newest toy hehe, have only run small models (< half million cells) using cfx 5 at the moment.

We are actually looking at a high end system for computational purposes (has been included in next years budget), but a bit reserved about making a descision on a system before I know its what I want.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Personally I know very little about anything other than AMD or Intel, so I would have put together a dual processor system, when possible, outta either of those.......but haven't put that much thought towards it yet.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Does P4 beat T-bird when SEE2 is support by the software you can saw a benchmark in P4 150% faster that prove it in some way. ADOBE was done it.EA John Madden have sse2 code so probaly next nhl,fifa,Triple play 2002 will have it and all the others.

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you for being so open about your work and why you believe that Intel have some good chips.

We know the P4 is very good in bandwidth limited apps but most people only want it to run their current apps well and few of those are bandwidth limited. The P4 will really shine across the board when Northwood comes along, the massive reduction in average latency will see to that. It might even match the Athlon clock for clock. That, along with its higher frequencies will mean that AMD will have problems competing at the high end unless Apaloosa and Thoroughbred have more architectural changes as well as the expected larger L2. Of course we will have to ask the question "Why do you need a computer that fast?"

L

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
The point is that P4 is limit by the software because they dont need all that power, so in the end high-end software use high-end cpu.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Juin -- Think about it. Does your post make sense? Most the current software came out before P4. If Intel wanted to serve its customers, the P4 should be at least as good if not better for current software. If Intel was doing its job, it wouldn't need software companies to "help" it to look good. Would it?

If P4 is "limited" by software, it's Intel's choice -- future market domination over serving current customers. However, it may not work out. I mean SSE2 is nice, but what prevent AMD adopting it? After all, Athlon-4 already has SSE(1). In the meantime, the ultra-long pipeline is proven to be not very efficient, and that is why P4 suffers in benchmark tests despite higher clock speed. Therefore, even if high-end software all optimized for SSE2 (a big if) in the future, P4 may not have an advantage there while still lagging behind in mainstream applications.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

G

"Why do you need a computer that fast?"

hehe, isn't that like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If why take normal use

Photoshop,Dreamwever,all microsoft office,Baldur gate 1,2 and expensiont set,fallout 2,internet,view some video,music,i will start soon my school so c++ novell windows,cisco,others server stuff,diablo 1,2 ,homestead personnal,NHL 98 to 2001 johnMadden 2001..........I forgot a alot

There only one software i use that wait for me to click is photoshop.Photoshop is faster with wich cpu????
All directx8 game support SSE2 so there will all be faster on a P4.John madden support SSE2 so probaly next NHL will support it too.When i buy a computer i think not for now but for in 2 year.For now any duron 700 can run this software easy.In 2 year does AMD will shine like he done now????? think SSE2 future and is more stable.The part i hate the most is even my computer have crash and is been 4 hour that i have save.The time i will save with a P4 is bigger that with a AMD.We buy faster cpu to save more time on your job,game.Have the pride to use real cpu not a copy.If you not belive my go check the little history of AMD.

A la fin sais le P4 qui a gnagné.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
n'importe qui achète un a brûlé offre de Amd est un stupide
I wonder who looks stupid here!

For the french part ???????
If you want a translation of what i think you have write

Nimporte qui n'achete pas un AMD est stupid.

I wonder i am right on what you trying to say in french.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know if you replied to me or not, but it seems that was my post and I <b>did not</b> try to translate that sentence, just <b>wondering</b>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.