P4 vs Athlon Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Fugger do you have a P4 System? If so how much did you pay for it? I was looking at P4 Motherboards and a good one is over 200 dollars. Does anyone out there see a problem with that? It is a friggen Mobo! P4 will be great once they are out of the beta stage. But they will have competition, which is a good thing. If someone thinks intel is better fine is someone thinks amd is better fine. We all win if those two companies fight. Intel does need to come down with price though because the P4 (optimised or not) is not worth the money. AMD needs thermal protection. If you have the money get the P4 if you don't get AMD, heatsink fan and someone who know's how to put it on and you will be allright.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>I make the same point who cares once you reach 100+ FPS in a game or your MS word opens .002 seconds faster.</b>
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! That's why I chose AMD for same performance but a lot cheaper!

G

FUGGER, you mock AMD for releasing such burnable chips...I mock Intel for selling a beta chip that sucks (at times performs worse then the P3)..If intel cared, they would have kept P4 in development and sold P3's until the P4 was finished. The P4 will one day be a good chip, but now it is not, especially price performance wise...And if you want good Benchmark tests, since Mhz will not = 1-1-1-1 anymore..then go by Price...You have $2500 to spend, you'll build a much better system right now going with AMD.

"Intel, we release beta products, and sell you new ones in six months"

"AMD, if you don't put on the HSF, then your computer will fry in 5-10 more seconds then if you took one off an Intel chip"

AMD is winning now, Intel will take over a little while with the real P4...but lets see where price / performance stands in a year.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have several P4's for testing/development, none for production.

I do not own a P4 at home.

Quantum, more like 3 months till we see northwood and more choices of motherboards. not much choice today, no one wants to make a mobo that is for current P4. (except Asus)

Benchmarks show the P4 owning the Tbird, www.spec.org

G

yeah but fugger...intel's been a real ass by marketing P4's especially with Dell as the dream machine...How many people are screwed with a sucky P4..that can be outmatched by P3's at times, and cost $2x...Intel definetly is the more "Anything for a Buck" company...yet I'd still buy their products at times, if they were better...Whenever your in the market you see which company is doing better...Hell my dad had a Cyrix once for a business comp...(then i tried to load some games on it....)

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

G

yeah, a 300mhz is a big jump between a p4 1500mhz and an
amd athlon at 1200mhz, but i think that the most important
is the card architechture not the speed in mhz.The amd
prossesor design is better and more stable than the p4 one,
and it's the only choice for the overcloking.
So that's why a 1200mhz athlon is better than a 1500mhz p4.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Fugger, Intel is much more established than AMD, I agree. This makes a very good point for the Intel's being of higher quality. In fact I agree that the Intel is less prone to overheating and is more stable, and in that matter, they have a higher quality chip. On the other hand, Intel has been somewhat of a let down lately. Considering that they are Intel, the 'big-boys', and are running at 1500MHz I would think that their processor would easily be able to beat AMD. However, when a smaller company like AMD comes along with a processor that matches the P4 and many tests say surpasses (but thats not the point I am making - the fact is is that it is close to the same speed), and does this for a significantly lower price, well, for most people, myself included, thats just a better deal. I am not an AMD lemming - I couldn't really care less about this whole Intel vs AMD war, I'll just buy whichever has the better deal. The quality of an AMD chip is very good - even if the Intel quality is better, it is not by a significant amount, and is definetly not worth the price, at least for me. My computer is running very fast and I am very, very happy with my AMD processor, and considering that I have a 1.2GHz running @ 133 FSB on a great mobo w/RAID, all for $450, thats great. There is no way I could afford over twice that for a system of comparable speed. The overheating is not an issue for me as I don't overclock. I do not think a chip's quality should be based on how well it does something it was not designed to do.
If Intel was tomorrow release a faster, higher quality chip than AMD, for the right price, I would without second thought go and buy an Intel chip. The truth is, however - and there is no denying this, is that Intel is overcharging customers right now. Most people don't know this, because most computer users are those AOL-user type people and they see the advertising, they know the name, and they buy it. I can't blame Intel because they are a business and they are making a ton of money. And Fugger, its not neccasarily that they are making a bad quality chip, it is that they could be making a much better quality chip than they are currently producing, because as Intel, they are very capable of doing so. Until they get their act together they have lost my business - not because I hate Intel, but because I can get a better deal from AMD. For me, and many others, it simply comes down to this: AMD makes a great chip for a lot cheaper than Intel, and even if it is at slightly less quality/speed, the difference in price MORE than makes up for it, and should be expected since they chip is half the price (or even lower). To bash AMD and AMD users is pointless. I am not an AMD lemming, and think being a lemming of any company, be it AMD or Intel, is foolish.

Fugger, I am not trying to make an argument with you why you should like AMD. I couldn't really care less if you like AMD. I appreciate your points about Intel and it is nice to have the other side of things presented. I do ask that you do so in a more respectful and mature manner, however. This forum is a place to learn, research, and discuss, not argue, insult, and demean people.

G

Yeah, a 300mhz is a big jump between the intel p4 1500mhz
and the amd athlon 1200mhz, BUT the processor architechture
is more important than the speed in mhz, it depends if the
processor is able to benefit from the speed or not.
And we don't have to forget the cpu overclocing, the amd
is the first and only processor for overclocing, the athlon 1200mhz can run at 1550mhz without problem if we give him the right cooler.
So like we see in benchmarks and tests the athlon is better and more stable than the intel p4 one, so it can compete
with it.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Everyones preaching to the converted.
The bottomline is Everyones made their own mind up and there is no convincing each other.
If we want to debate the quality/performance/etc of the different cpu's thats ok. but, if individuals like fugger want to keep their head stuck up their own a$$, I think we should just let them do so!

G

Yep, went to the site to check it out.

First of all, I noticed this little tidbit, the site disclaimer for the data:

"The results published by SPEC have been reviewed by the SPEC organization prior to publication. However, these are submissions by member companies and the contents of any SPEC reporting page are the submittor's responsibility. SPEC makes no warranties about the accuracy or veracity of this data."

In other words, the testing was done by the submitters, NOT by SPEC. Therefore, the data is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Secondly, I noticed from the names of the systems tested that the vast majority are meant for workstation or server use. AMD has only recently started entering this region, so the fact that there is little data on AMD systems listed, suggests that it most likely doesn't reflect the marketplace as a whole.

More importantly, while the benchmarks provide some comparisons for the different CPU's, the site itself says that they are meant to test the processor by itself. Unfortunately, the average computer user cannot simply sit down to a monitor, plug a CPU into it, and expect to run their programs. They have to have the full system: hard drive, CD-ROM/burner, video card, and other peripherals, all of which will come into use at one point or another. Hence, while synthetic benchmarks such as SPEC uses have their usefullness, they cannot completely replace benchmarks created by using real-world software -- that is, software that the average user will actually use.

Finally, after some careful comparisons of the numbers, while the P3's and P4's do tend to beat out the Athlons in these tests, they STILL show that the P4 is not that great of a chip. More importantly, the type of memory used is also going to affect the benchmark results. Ignoring costs, RDRAM is faster than even PC2100 DDR RAM, which means that you have the Athlons competing with a speed handicap in the RAM department. That's like taking 2 Olympian sprinters, and telling one of them he can't move his arms while running, or worse that he has to hold 1 leg behind him. Of course he'll lose the race :)

Anyway, just to hightlight the anaylysis, I used the SPEC CINT2000 results. 6 P4's, 32 P3's, and 2 Athlon 1.2GHz's were running Windows (NT4 SP5 or Win2K, depending on the manufacturer; Athlons all used W2K, the Pentiums were split). From what I could tell, the OS had very little effect on the benchmarks.

Fastest Base Rating: Fujitsu Siemens Celciius 460 (P4 1.5 GHz, 512 MB RD800 RAM) and Intel's D850GB mobo (P4 1.5 GHz, 256 MB RD800 RAM), both with a 524 rating. The fastest Athlon system was AMD's Gigabyte GA-7DX mobo (256 MB PC2100 DDR RAM) at 443. The fastest P3 1 GHz (Dell Precision Workstation 420, 256 MB RD800 RAM) was rated at 454.

Fastest Peak Rating: Intel's D850GB mobo with 536 (the Fujitsu Siemens was right behind with 535, though). The GA-7DX board had a 496 rating. The fastest P3 1 GHz came in at 462.

Examine those benchmarks closely, though:
-- While the P4 is 25% faster in processor speed than the Athlon, it only performed 18.3% better on the benchmark (8.1% on the peak rate).
-- Even worse, although the P4 is 50% faster in processor speed than the P3, it only had a 15-16% increase in the benchmark rating.
-- While the P3 at 1 GHz seems to perform at roughly equal to the Athlon, it also has much faster RAM to work with. To truly test the P3 against the Athlon, the RAM speeds would also have to be equal. This is especially important given that currently RDRAM is more expensive than DDR RAM.

Considering the cheapest costs for these processors (on www.pricewatch.com today: $577 for a P4 1.5 GHz, $236 for a P3 1 GHz, and $232 for an Athlon 1.2 GHz), the performance per dollar for a P4 (0.908 per $ base/0.929 per $ peak) is MUCH lower than that of a P3 (1.924/1.958) or Athlon (1.885/2.111).

And despite any comments you might have about lemmings around here, you're as much an Intel lemming as anyone else is an AMD lemming. So what if the P4 has a higher clock speed, or has a better benchmark? This site didn't deny that the P4 can get higher benchmarks than Athlon. What it DID point out (and what any half-wit that can cut-and-paste data into Excel will also see) is that the P4 doesn't deliver enough extra performance for the cost being charged. When a P4 system costs double or more the cost of an Athlon system, but doesn't deliver double or more of the performance, it's not a good deal. That's why the P4 is flawed.

You come back to me with a P4 system that uses PC2100 DDR RAM, a P4 chip with 64 KB of L1 data cache (and not the 8 KB it currently has) and 64 KB of L1 instruction cache (not the current 12 KB) [BTW: that would make it identical to AMD's Athlon L1 cache], and THEN show me that it can deliver more than double an Athlon's performance. Then I'll believe that the P4 is worth the money Intel is charging for it. Until then, take your feet out of your mouth and start using your brain.

G

well said ! I agree 1200 mhz is NOT 1500 mhz
P4 quake outperforms AMD by 60 fps
SPEC INT and FP P4 scores are 100 points higher !
3d rendering and video Mpeg scores are higher,
MP3's are too

in short anything 3d and fp intensive using dd3d 8a and ME and optimized sofware will trounce the AMD..
problem is many reviewers are lazy and do not upgrade the OS, 3d API, and software...
when you do it makes a 30% difference
RAMBUS has superior maximum bandwidth expecially dual channel where both ram modules are effectively operating at 1600 mhz concurrently

also with P4 compiled software like dd3d 8a, there is a trememdous speed gain.
P4 has dual FP units operating a 3 GHZ or 2x, and can handle more operations
also P4 has a cache prediction rate of 95% thanks to a table that is 8x times larger than P3 or AMD
it has a 20 stage pipeline and 8 way cache as
well as a 400 mhz memory bus compared with 200-266 for AMD

any 3D app using P4 optimization will outshine anything
the spec mark for the P4 is 550 and its FP is 540 !
currently the fastest CPU around
the P4, it will be upgradable past 2 GHZ this year !
we build thousands of high end systems for clients and test alot of hardware like TOM does, so I am speaking from hands on knowledge :)

and the problem with all these reviews is they do not understand that the P4 is a ground up new cpu and since it is so efficient it need special optimization and compilers for P4, otherwise the CPU cannot understand or ignores things, and results are cache stalls.

If you want the best system, than AMD and some other listed components would only be considered in the middle to low end category.

ALI and Via chipset are really low end for the most part and since MS and most hardware vendors and card makers use INTEL chipsets to develop their products with , compatibility problems arise from using AMD chipsets,
as they tend not to adhere to industry standard specs.
ASK ANY TECH SUPPORT ENGINEER, loads of AGP problems,
scsi and RAID problems etc..

the following system kicks but I have tested it again most !
ASUS PENTIUM 4 1.5 GHZ MB w 1.5 GHZ CPU

2x 128 Meg 800 mhz RAMBUS (this is dual channel for 3.2 GBPS bandwidth)

2x 15,000 rpm Cheatah 18 GIG Ultra 160 scsi Drives (3.8 MS
one for OS and one for software, can operate concurrently for close to 180 MBPS sustained ! )

Geforce 3 64 meg video

Kenwoood 72X Multilaser CD or Toshiba 16\48 DVD
19" Viewsonic P95f
CASE -COOLER MASTER 201 www.coolermaster.com ALL RAW ALUMINUM GIANT HEATSINK !

WINDOWS M.E with DD3d 8a both P4 compiled !!

this will outperform any AMD system with similiar components

CYBERIMAGE
<A HREF="http:// http://www.4CyberImage.com " target="_new">http:// http://www.4CyberImage.com </A>
Ultra High Performance Computers-

TRENDING THREADS