P4 with IMB v. 2MB Cache

Sorry to stray off a strictly DELL question, but I get answers here I
understand, so...here goes.

For, say, a 3,4 Mhz P4 CPU, what advantages or differences would I
notice between a CPU with a 1MB or 2MB cache?

Thanks!

In article <0ZqdneLaRcnnV3rfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
says...
> Sorry to stray off a strictly DELL question, but I get answers here I
> understand, so...here goes.
>
> For, say, a 3,4 Mhz P4 CPU, what advantages or differences would I
> notice between a CPU with a 1MB or 2MB cache?

If the cache on both operates at the same exact speed, then the 2mb
cache will handle more intensive CPU work faster than the 1MB does since
it's able to use a larger cache in most cases. The cache is where all
the work is staged/done.

If you're talking MS Word or office type applications or web browsing,
then it's not going to make a measurable difference for you.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos wrote:
> In article <0ZqdneLaRcnnV3rfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
> says...
>> Sorry to stray off a strictly DELL question, but I get answers here I
>> understand, so...here goes.
>>
>> For, say, a 3,4 Mhz P4 CPU, what advantages or differences would I
>> notice between a CPU with a 1MB or 2MB cache?
>
> If the cache on both operates at the same exact speed, then the 2mb
> cache will handle more intensive CPU work faster than the 1MB does since
> it's able to use a larger cache in most cases. The cache is where all
> the work is staged/done.
>
> If you're talking MS Word or office type applications or web browsing,
> then it's not going to make a measurable difference for you.

So it would make a difference in my use of Photoshop and other dtp apps
where lots of recal-rendering is done?

Thanks.

Leythos is correct. While you achieve theoretically faster throughput, you
are unlikely to notice the difference. And in any case, that cache is only
one of many variables that affects the overall speed of your computer.

On the other hand, who knows what demands software of the future will place
on your system and who knows where your computing will take you? If the bump
in price is affordable, why not go for it.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> In article <0ZqdneLaRcnnV3rfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
> says...
> > Sorry to stray off a strictly DELL question, but I get answers here I
> > understand, so...here goes.
> >
> > For, say, a 3,4 Mhz P4 CPU, what advantages or differences would I
> > notice between a CPU with a 1MB or 2MB cache?
>
> If the cache on both operates at the same exact speed, then the 2mb
> cache will handle more intensive CPU work faster than the 1MB does since
> it's able to use a larger cache in most cases. The cache is where all
> the work is staged/done.
>
> If you're talking MS Word or office type applications or web browsing,
> then it's not going to make a measurable difference for you.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

In article <DLidnQkvwNbVU3rfRVn-rg@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
says...
> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <0ZqdneLaRcnnV3rfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
> > says...
> >> Sorry to stray off a strictly DELL question, but I get answers here I
> >> understand, so...here goes.
> >>
> >> For, say, a 3,4 Mhz P4 CPU, what advantages or differences would I
> >> notice between a CPU with a 1MB or 2MB cache?
> >
> > If the cache on both operates at the same exact speed, then the 2mb
> > cache will handle more intensive CPU work faster than the 1MB does since
> > it's able to use a larger cache in most cases. The cache is where all
> > the work is staged/done.
> >
> > If you're talking MS Word or office type applications or web browsing,
> > then it's not going to make a measurable difference for you.
> >

> So it would make a difference in my use of Photoshop and other dtp apps
> where lots of recal-rendering is done?

In the case of Photoshop, the full version, not the stripped down home
user version that's included with some hardware, yes.

With PS and PageMaker and their types, I would rather see you spend the
money as follows:

RAM 1.5GB to 3GB
CPU's Dual Xeon, 2.8ghz or faster 533FSB
Hard Drives - at least 2 x 7200RPM/8MB SATA 150 drives
Video Card - something with 256MB and PCIx

If you do the above you'll have a screamer of a machine for editing
images and even for building DVD movies. When you setup the drives,
don't RAID them, use on for the OS/Source files and the other one for
temp/destination files.

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <DLidnQkvwNbVU3rfRVn-rg@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
> says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>> In article <0ZqdneLaRcnnV3rfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, harry.krause@gmail.com
>>> says...

>>> If the cache on both operates at the same exact speed, then the 2mb
>>> cache will handle more intensive CPU work faster than the 1MB does since
>>> it's able to use a larger cache in most cases. The cache is where all
>>> the work is staged/done.
>>>
>>> If you're talking MS Word or office type applications or web browsing,
>>> then it's not going to make a measurable difference for you.
>>>
>> So it would make a difference in my use of Photoshop and other dtp apps
>> where lots of recal-rendering is done?
>
> In the case of Photoshop, the full version, not the stripped down home
> user version that's included with some hardware, yes.
>
> With PS and PageMaker and their types, I would rather see you spend the
> money as follows:
>
> RAM 1.5GB to 3GB
> CPU's Dual Xeon, 2.8ghz or faster 533FSB
> Hard Drives - at least 2 x 7200RPM/8MB SATA 150 drives
> Video Card - something with 256MB and PCIx
>
> If you do the above you'll have a screamer of a machine for editing
> images and even for building DVD movies. When you setup the drives,
> don't RAID them, use on for the OS/Source files and the other one for
> temp/destination files.

Thanks!