P4B and CPU speed

Mike

Splendid

Just wondering if anyone knew the maximum CPU speed that the P4B motherboard
allows. I have a 1.5 ghz on my P4 system right now, but want to upgrade into
the 2.0 - 2.5 range here soon.
Also, can anyone give me a good recomendation for a 128mb or 256mb video
card to run on it that is AGP 4x and 1.5 volt (must be 1.5volt according to
website, can't be 3.3 I guess)? I have a PCI NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 on there
right now but can't play Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault and was thinking of
upgrading it too right now while I had the thing apart. Looking in the
$100-150 US or CAN range and am happy with NVIDIA really but open to other
suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

gb

For max cpu go to http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
and use Query by Motherboard.

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering if anyone knew the maximum CPU speed that the P4B
> motherboard allows. I have a 1.5 ghz on my P4 system right now, but want
> to upgrade into the 2.0 - 2.5 range here soon.
> Also, can anyone give me a good recomendation for a 128mb or 256mb video
> card to run on it that is AGP 4x and 1.5 volt (must be 1.5volt according
> to website, can't be 3.3 I guess)? I have a PCI NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 on
> there right now but can't play Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault and was
> thinking of upgrading it too right now while I had the thing apart.
> Looking in the $100-150 US or CAN range and am happy with NVIDIA really
> but open to other suggestions.
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

You can get a "2.4b" chip for under $150 CDN, but I believe that
your bus is restricted to 400mhz so that means the fastest "a" cpu you
can get is "2.6a" mhz, which may be harder to find, I have seen some
celerons available... at the same price...!
You may want to consider spending an extra $100 on a new intel
board(d865perl) which has support for faster cpu's and it will leave
you more options for the "800fsb cpu upgrade. Some of these "b to e"
chips can be found at a great price point right now.

For video, a Sapphire "9600pro" for under $150...don't get anything
less than that or less than an "nvidia 5700" gpu chip...they are
comparable but nvidia is more $$$ (unless it's an "LE" series...)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:33:07 -0500, "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone knew the maximum CPU speed that the P4B motherboard
>allows. I have a 1.5 ghz on my P4 system right now, but want to upgrade into
>the 2.0 - 2.5 range here soon.
>Also, can anyone give me a good recomendation for a 128mb or 256mb video
>card to run on it that is AGP 4x and 1.5 volt (must be 1.5volt according to
>website, can't be 3.3 I guess)? I have a PCI NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 on there
>right now but can't play Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault and was thinking of
>upgrading it too right now while I had the thing apart. Looking in the
>$100-150 US or CAN range and am happy with NVIDIA really but open to other
>suggestions.
>Thanks in advance,
>Mike

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

soryy, should have included the following:

"a" chip = 400mhz fsb

"b" chip = 533mhz fsb

"c" chip = 800mhz fsb (northwood core, noted to run cooler and
possibly better o/c potential...)

"e" chip = 800mhz fsb (prescott core, higher cache for software that
can utilize it, can run hotter, may not o/c as well...)

I think I have this right.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:47:55 GMT, Bill Smith <bs@aol.com> wrote:

> You can get a "2.4b" chip for under $150 CDN, but I believe that
>your bus is restricted to 400mhz so that means the fastest "a" cpu you
>can get is "2.6a" mhz, which may be harder to find, I have seen some
>celerons available... at the same price...!
> You may want to consider spending an extra $100 on a new intel
>board(d865perl) which has support for faster cpu's and it will leave
>you more options for the "800fsb cpu upgrade. Some of these "b to e"
>chips can be found at a great price point right now.
>
> For video, a Sapphire "9600pro" for under $150...don't get anything
>less than that or less than an "nvidia 5700" gpu chip...they are
>comparable but nvidia is more $$$ (unless it's an "LE" series...)
>

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:33:07 -0500, "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Just wondering if anyone knew the maximum CPU speed that the P4B motherboard
>>allows. I have a 1.5 ghz on my P4 system right now, but want to upgrade into
>>the 2.0 - 2.5 range here soon.
>>Also, can anyone give me a good recomendation for a 128mb or 256mb video
>>card to run on it that is AGP 4x and 1.5 volt (must be 1.5volt according to
>>website, can't be 3.3 I guess)? I have a PCI NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 on there
>>right now but can't play Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault and was thinking of
>>upgrading it too right now while I had the thing apart. Looking in the
>>$100-150 US or CAN range and am happy with NVIDIA really but open to other
>>suggestions.
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Mike
>>

> ñíñjà¤têç