P4C800-E Dlx, Mushkin memory, do I have a problem?

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I've been experiencing some random and unresolved rebooting so I ran
Memtest86. I am not overclocking anything on the system though I had hoped
to down the line.

After 10 passes of the default tests there are 40 errors, 38 in test 5 and 2
errors in test 6. Do I have bad memory? Are these results sufficient to
approach Mushkin for a memory replacement? Should I run any other tests?

Configuration:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS 1014
Pentium 4, 2.6cGHz, 800MHz, HT
Mushkin DDR3500 Level II Black
Antec PLUS1080AMG Server Case w/ 430 watt TruePower PS
ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI

Guardian

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> I've been experiencing some random and unresolved rebooting so I ran
> Memtest86. I am not overclocking anything on the system though I had
hoped
> to down the line.
>
> After 10 passes of the default tests there are 40 errors, 38 in test 5 and
2
> errors in test 6. Do I have bad memory? Are these

Post a message on the Mushkin support forum... you'll most likely need to
manually set your memory timings and voltage for the memory. There are some
very helpful people that help out there... the link is below

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/

Hi

I had the same problem. I contacted Mushkin and they gave me te following
information:

*************** SOLUTION **********************
In the BIOS, under Advanced -> JumperFree Configuration:

* Set AI Overclock Tuner to Manual.
* Set Performance Mode to Auto.
* Set DDR Reference Voltage to 2.65V.

Also go to Advanced -> Chipset:

* Make sure the Performance Acceleration Mode is set to AUTO.

Reboot, if that doesn't help try raising the DDR Reference Voltage to 2.75.
If you still have instability problems try raising the DDR Reference Voltage
to 2.85.

Since the 25th of March all problems dissapeared.

Best luck

S.L.B.
Lisbon, Portugal

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Thanks for a help everybody. I did bump through the forums and got some
good things to try. I also got a fast response from Mushkin with similar
suggestions. I hope this works.

I guess there is a real problem with this memory? It concerns me that they
stopped making it! And here I thought I was buying some of the best memory
and I may have bought a lemon.

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> I've been experiencing some random and unresolved rebooting so I ran
> Memtest86. I am not overclocking anything on the system though I had
hoped
> to down the line.
>
> After 10 passes of the default tests there are 40 errors, 38 in test 5 and
2
> errors in test 6. Do I have bad memory? Are these results sufficient to
> approach Mushkin for a memory replacement? Should I run any other tests?
>
> Configuration:
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS 1014
> Pentium 4, 2.6cGHz, 800MHz, HT
> Mushkin DDR3500 Level II Black
> Antec PLUS1080AMG Server Case w/ 430 watt TruePower PS
> ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> I've been experiencing some random and unresolved rebooting so I ran
> Memtest86. I am not overclocking anything on the system though I had
hoped
> to down the line.
>
> After 10 passes of the default tests there are 40 errors, 38 in test 5 and
2
> errors in test 6. Do I have bad memory? Are these results sufficient to
> approach Mushkin for a memory replacement? Should I run any other tests?
>
> Configuration:
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS 1014
> Pentium 4, 2.6cGHz, 800MHz, HT
> Mushkin DDR3500 Level II Black
> Antec PLUS1080AMG Server Case w/ 430 watt TruePower PS
> ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI

OK, here's the followup and it's got a happy ending!

Mushkin tech support recommended the following BIOS changes:

AI Overclock Tuner changed from "Standard" to "Manual"
which allowed me to change the DDR reference voltage to 2.75 from "Auto"

then in Chipset, Advanced

disable "Configure DRAM timing by SPD

which allowed me to change the following:

CAS = 2
RAS to CAS = 3
RAS =2
precharge delay = 6

disable "Spread Spectrum"

I had also previously disabled "Legacy USB Support"

I ran 5 passes of memtest86 and got ZERO errors! The sky is sunny and blue
in Mushkin land once more! yippee!

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

I'd also like to add that my email to Mushkin Tech Support was answered very
quickly. I also received a follow up message a few days later. So I am
very pleased with Mushkin's support. Wish everybody was that good! No
weird reboots in a few days...