P4P800/P4P800SE sync FSB problems

I've had some trouble getting my new sytem up and running right and would
like some help. Here's the scoop. I bought a P4P800SE and a P42.6C, had it
running fine, no problems. The only ram I had when I got it was a single
stick of Kingston DDR3200 Valueram. I started testing how far I could get
the processor clocked up to once I'd burnt it in for about a week. I was
able to easily get to 3250 but needless to say, I wasn't running sync. I
bought a dual-channel 2x256Mb OCZ DDR4000 on a recommendation from a friend
and tried it out. It works fine, but here is where I discovered that the
fsb/memory ratio can't be locked on this board either, there isn't an
option. I tried all the suggestions in the forum. No luck, I appeared to
lose dual-channel mode as soon as I raised the FSB over 200 on the P4P800SE
but on the P4P800 board it stays in dual-channel mode. It runs fine async on
either board. But this isn't why I bought the ram is it? A colleague at work
is running a P4P800, not the SE and he's got it running sync and he has the
ratio setting in the bios. It's even in the manual, I checked before buying
the board. Sure enough, I have a similar problem, no ratio setting in the
bios of the new P4P800 I've bought. I flashed up to rev 1017Beta from 1014
one rev at a time. No change. The system runs great with everything at auto,
even runs fine with the cpu at 3250 but this automatically clocks my ram
back to 2700 no matter what I do. I also crash running 3D Mark2001SE if I'm
overclocked. None of this happened with the old single stick of 3200? I'm
not sure where to go on this from here. I've always had perfomance mode set
to standard, spread spectrum is the first thing I disable on every
motherboard I touch. Setting the mem timings to 3-4-4-8 doesn't change
anything and if you leave it set to By SPD the board tries to push the
memory to 2.5 timings (I noticed that mention elsewhere in the forums too).
On the P4P800SE I can see and set my DDR speed to 500 but it won't post. On
the P4P800 it doesn't offer me the 500 speed option at all, it's like it
doesn't detect it's full speed. I check with all the different bios rev's I
tried. I've reseated the memory twice, cleared the bios numerous times as
well, installed one stick at a time. Nothing has helped so far.

Here's the configuration:
Asus P4P800
Intel P4 2.6C, stock Intel cooler
2x256Mb DDR4000 OCZ, dual-channel kit, OCZ500512ELDC-K should be the part
number, I can check the modules if needed but that's what I ordered.
ATI Radeon 9000Pro
2x120Gb Seatgate 7200.7 SATA150 as RAID1 volume (boot drive)
Western Digital 120Gb BB series (misc data temp data storage, being removed
soon) on Primary Master
LiteOn DVD-RW on Secondary Master
LiteOn DVD-CDRW combo on Secondary Slave
ATI TV-Wonder
Soundblaster Audigy
Antec SLK2650BQE with Antec 380W PSU from a Sonata
80MM Vantec Stealth mounted on an IceSystems T-Bone fan bracket to cool
chipset and memory

So here are the questions:
Do you need to hit a key sequence with this board to get more bios options
like my GA-7VAX?
Did I miss something really simple here?
Is the Audigy or the TV Wonder a problem? (I doubt it's the Radeon 9000Pro?)
Is it because I'm running RAID1? There were no extra options there before I
connected the drives
Is it a memory compatability issue?
Why doesn't the new P4P800 offer me the manual DDR speed setting for 500?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance
Mark

sorry wrong group :-(

TRENDING THREADS