P4P800E-Dlx POST strange behavior -- HELP

I am putting together a new PC with the following configuration.

Asus P4P800E-Dlx
P4 2.8GHz
Mushkin PC3500 512 MB 2X256 2-3-3
Radeon 9600 Pro
WD 36GB Raptor
WinTV PVR 250

Thnigs were going fine until I decided to change the default memory latency
timings in the BIOS from 3-4-4 to 2-3-3

Since then the problem is that during POST the computer just shuts down
without any warnings. I plugged a powered speaker, but there are no warnings
on the speaker either.

I have unplugged all the other parts including the video card. If I remove
the RAM there is a POST error message "System failed Memory Test". The next
error message that it should give is about the VGA system failure. Since
POST does not do this, I am assuming that my memory or MB does not like the
aggressive timings in the BIOS.

So how do I reset the BIOS to the original factory settings? I have tried to
enter the BIOS but the computer shuts down before I enter the BIOS. Is there
a hardware way to reset the BIOS to the original factory settings?

Tarun
-=-

Paul

Splendid

In article <KBBqc.52637$jU.3254833@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "Ruchika
Jain" <tjainREMOVE@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I am putting together a new PC with the following configuration.
>
> Asus P4P800E-Dlx
> P4 2.8GHz
> Mushkin PC3500 512 MB 2X256 2-3-3
> Radeon 9600 Pro
> WD 36GB Raptor
> WinTV PVR 250
>
> Thnigs were going fine until I decided to change the default memory latency
> timings in the BIOS from 3-4-4 to 2-3-3
>
> Since then the problem is that during POST the computer just shuts down
> without any warnings. I plugged a powered speaker, but there are no warnings
> on the speaker either.
>
> I have unplugged all the other parts including the video card. If I remove
> the RAM there is a POST error message "System failed Memory Test". The next
> error message that it should give is about the VGA system failure. Since
> POST does not do this, I am assuming that my memory or MB does not like the
> aggressive timings in the BIOS.
>
> So how do I reset the BIOS to the original factory settings? I have tried to
> enter the BIOS but the computer shuts down before I enter the BIOS. Is there
> a hardware way to reset the BIOS to the original factory settings?
>
> Tarun

Section 2.6 in the Manual - "Clear RTC RAM".

This is also know as "clearing the CMOS", as it zeros the contents
of the Southbridge battery backed CMOS ram.

The most important step in the manual, is to unplug the computer.
If you don't do this, you can damage a component on the motherboard.
Turn off and unplug the computer. Wait until the green "standby"
LED on the motherboard stops glowing. Then, follow the procedure
as stated in the manual.

HTH,
Paul