p4pe - NTFS drive doesn't mount

In an effort to transfer a large amount of data from another PC to
mine, I've been given a hard drive (Seagate 80gb) formatted as NTFS (I
believe from Windows XP). My PC is a duel boot win2k/win98, P4, 2ghz,
P4Pe. Not including this new drive, I have five installed that are all
FAT32.

I have been unsuccessful in getting my PC to mount the hard drive on
my win2k boot. I've tried setting the drive as both master and slave.
I've tried removing my secondary drives thinking perhaps there were
too many for my PC to handle. This drive is not my C drive. It's only
to transfer data to another of my drives.

My guess is there's some RAID setting I need to make. My worry is that
it will destroy the data on the drive thinking that RAID can only be
installed on a clean drive. Therefore I haven't ventured into
fastBuild.

Also, this NTFS hard drive used to be installed in my PC as FAT32. The
person whose data I needed could not mount this drive on his PC so he
formatted it. I attached the drive back into its old connectors.

Can anyone suggest some steps I might take to get data from this
drive?

Thank you for your help,
~ Avery

I cannot see what Raid has got to do with it, unless this is a sata drive.
Is the drive seen in the bios?

"Avery" <averydarkplace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In an effort to transfer a large amount of data from another PC to
> mine, I've been given a hard drive (Seagate 80gb) formatted as NTFS (I
> believe from Windows XP). My PC is a duel boot win2k/win98, P4, 2ghz,
> P4Pe. Not including this new drive, I have five installed that are all
> FAT32.
>
> I have been unsuccessful in getting my PC to mount the hard drive on
> my win2k boot. I've tried setting the drive as both master and slave.
> I've tried removing my secondary drives thinking perhaps there were
> too many for my PC to handle. This drive is not my C drive. It's only
> to transfer data to another of my drives.
>
> My guess is there's some RAID setting I need to make. My worry is that
> it will destroy the data on the drive thinking that RAID can only be
> installed on a clean drive. Therefore I haven't ventured into
> fastBuild.
>
> Also, this NTFS hard drive used to be installed in my PC as FAT32. The
> person whose data I needed could not mount this drive on his PC so he
> formatted it. I attached the drive back into its old connectors.
>
> Can anyone suggest some steps I might take to get data from this
> drive?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> ~ Avery

I can see this drive when I run fastBuild. I guess that's the bios?

RAID may have nothing to do with it. I've been searching for answers
and running into posts that suggest that even a single drive should be
configured as RAID.

"D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<ApHzc.251$I6.241@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I cannot see what Raid has got to do with it, unless this is a sata drive.
> Is the drive seen in the bios?

Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
It should be set as slave.
Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
It may not have been assigned a drive letter

"D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<0lRzc.16$qw3.7@newsfe3-gui>...
> Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
> It should be set as slave.
> Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
> It may not have been assigned a drive letter

I just checked my device manager. The drive does appear there. I still
have not been able to mount it. I don't see where I can assign a drive
letter.

averydarkplace@yahoo.com (Avery) wrote in message news:<54915a2d.0406162057.2e164392@posting.google.com>...
> "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<0lRzc.16$qw3.7@newsfe3-gui>...
> > Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
> > It should be set as slave.
> > Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
> > It may not have been assigned a drive letter
>
> I just checked my device manager. The drive does appear there. I still
> have not been able to mount it. I don't see where I can assign a drive
> letter.

Also, yes. My drive is a standard IDE drive.

averydarkplace@yahoo.com (Avery) wrote in message news:<54915a2d.0406162057.2e164392@posting.google.com>...
> "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<0lRzc.16$qw3.7@newsfe3-gui>...
> > Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
> > It should be set as slave.
> > Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
> > It may not have been assigned a drive letter
>
> I just checked my device manager. The drive does appear there. I still
> have not been able to mount it. I don't see where I can assign a drive
> letter.

Also, yes. My drive is a standard IDE drive.

averydarkplace@yahoo.com (Avery) wrote in message news:<54915a2d.0406162057.2e164392@posting.google.com>...
> "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<0lRzc.16$qw3.7@newsfe3-gui>...
> > Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
> > It should be set as slave.
> > Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
> > It may not have been assigned a drive letter
>
> I just checked my device manager. The drive does appear there. I still
> have not been able to mount it. I don't see where I can assign a drive
> letter.

Yes, my drive is a standard IDE drive.

I didnt mean device manager, Its Computer Management - see help

"Avery" <averydarkplace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<0lRzc.16$qw3.7@newsfe3-gui>...
> > Raid is only relevent if its a Sata drive, I assume its a std IDE drive.
> > It should be set as slave.
> > Is the drive seen in Computer Management (Administrative Tools) ?
> > It may not have been assigned a drive letter
>
> I just checked my device manager. The drive does appear there. I still
> have not been able to mount it. I don't see where I can assign a drive
> letter.

You still don't say whether disk is visible in Computer Management.
This is NOT the same as My Computer/Explore or Hardware Devices

"D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<PiiAc.66$dn3.47@newsfe4-gui>...
> You still don't say whether disk is visible in Computer Management.
> This is NOT the same as My Computer/Explore or Hardware Devices

No. I cannot see the drives in Computer Management.

Sorry for the multiple posts... the groups.google page kept presenting
the error "Internal server error" after two posting attempts.

If the drive jumpers are set as slave and it is correctly connected on the
ide cable I can think of no reason why it cannot be seen in Computer
Management.
As a last resort you could try a new ide cable
I find it odd that yr friend could not install this drive without formatting
it, it is possible that the drive is defective. Is it possible top run a
seagate drive checking utility on it?

> "D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message
> > You still don't say whether disk is visible in Computer Management.
> > This is NOT the same as My Computer/Explore or Hardware Devices
>
> No. I cannot see the drives in Computer Management.
>
> Sorry for the multiple posts... the groups.google page kept presenting
> the error "Internal server error" after two posting attempts.

From what I've been reading it's unusual that I can't mount the drive.
I thought it might be a common problem with an easy solution but I'm
finding that this isn't the case. I will try to run a drive check
utility. I found a nice list of utilities here:

http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Hard_Disk_Tools.htm

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

~Avery

"D" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<hMrAc.764$qS4.514@newsfe6-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> If the drive jumpers are set as slave and it is correctly connected on the
> ide cable I can think of no reason why it cannot be seen in Computer
> Management.
> As a last resort you could try a new ide cable
> I find it odd that yr friend could not install this drive without formatting
> it, it is possible that the drive is defective. Is it possible top run a
> seagate drive checking utility on it?

Success!

I solved the problem. I needed to mount the drive through Control
Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management then Storage > Disk
Management.

"D" you mentioned this before and I looked in the wrong place and did
not see the window you were no doubt referring to.

averydarkplace@yahoo.com (Avery) wrote in message news:<54915a2d.0406180620.38acab48@posting.google.com>...
> From what I've been reading it's unusual that I can't mount the drive.
> I thought it might be a common problem with an easy solution but I'm
> finding that this isn't the case. I will try to run a drive check
> utility. I found a nice list of utilities here:
>
> http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Hard_Disk_Tools.htm
>
> Thank you for your help and suggestions.
>
> ~Avery

at least alls well, whatever route

> Success!
>
> I solved the problem. I needed to mount the drive through Control
> Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management then Storage > Disk
> Management.
>
> "D" you mentioned this before and I looked in the wrong place and did
> not see the window you were no doubt referring to.
>
> averydarkplace@yahoo.com (Avery) wrote in message
> > From what I've been reading it's unusual that I can't mount the drive.
> > I thought it might be a common problem with an easy solution but I'm
> > finding that this isn't the case. I will try to run a drive check
> > utility. I found a nice list of utilities here:
> >
> > http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Hard_Disk_Tools.htm
> >
> > Thank you for your help and suggestions.
> >
> > ~Avery

TK

Stoopid question but . . . have you checked you can see it in the BIOS?
Seagate drives are notorious for not being visible without running a drive
management utility first (Disk Wizard, from memory - available on the
Seagate site - they provide a bootable image file as well as a floppy disk
version). Also, some motherboards will demand that you limit the drive to
32GB and further mess around with the slave/master jumpers before the board
will recognise it. Particularly older mainboards.

Something else that *might* work is try swapping 40-pin and 80-pin cables
and mess with the bios settings for the IDE channels (try different DMA
settings, etc). Also, try messing with the IDE settings in device manager.
Though it sounds to me more like a bios-level problem than a OS problem.

I've seen a number of drives presumed dead that had a variation of this
problem.

My apologies if you've already tried all this or it's not relevant.

TK