P4S533- USB2?

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I am frustrated beyond belief. SiS's website says the chipset in my board, a P4S533 (SiS645DX) uses the SiS961B southbridge which has USB1.1 only. ASUS's website claims use of the SiS962 southbridge. Every review says something different.

Does the P4S533 have USB2.0 or not?

-Col.Kiwi

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Open up the case. Look at the southbridge chip. It should have writing on it. There will lie your answer.

<b>I'm THE THGC Strumpet! Hear me Roar! *Squeak!* :cool: </b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
USB 1.1 yep.
It aint that bad, so long as u dont want to use any high bandwidth devices like external hard drives.

if you really need it, you can pick up a PCI USB2.0 hub.

<b>I'm THE THGC Strumpet! Hear me Roar! *Squeak!* :cool: </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get a USB 2.0 card cheap, I've even seen USB 2.0 / Firewire combo cards for around $30.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Okay. I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was USB1.1... then I realized it doesn't matter.

I only have a USB mouse, a USB game controller from SideWinder (some weird strategy game thing) and a printer. Low bandwidth devices.

I've never seen anything besides external HDDs that use USB2.. and I can't afford those and don't need em :smile:

Any advantages I don't know of?

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, there's always external CD writers, USB1.1 is limitted to around 4x writes.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>