p55w is having major performance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashFire61

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I need help troubleshooting my p55w. It's performance has degraded massively. Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this?

I bought a gigabyte p55w v4 about a month and a half ago from newegg. It worked perfectly for about 2 days, then my fps dropped from 80 to 15 (in mwo and star citizen) after tweaking some stuff in the nividia control panel and running the system on max performance with the fans at 100% i was able to get back to 80 fps and chalked it up to my system automatically going into power saver and using the integrated graphics instead of the 970m. I had no issues until last week when the problem came back, since then I've noticed a few things. 1) i get a kernal error in my event log: event 37, saying that my cpu is self throttling due to lack of power and my laptop occasionally starts auto switching from ac to battery over and over. when i unplug the laptop and run it on high performance the fps stays at around 15-18 and when i plug it in it jumps between 9-50. Any ideas?

It's your power brick or your power outlet. As an experiment, I was running my Gigabyte q2532n (this laptop was when gigabyte was very unpopular...btw) on a car battery with a 100W converter. Because I was gaming, both my i5 2410M CPU and GT 540M GPU were needing more than 100W though so my FPS went down SIGNIFICANTLY and it kept switching to battery to AC power every second or two. Pluged it back into my 120V outlet and it was fine.

So make sure you have your plug plugged into a regular voltage outlet, if so then it's probably your power brick that needs replacement.

DashFire61

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

It's not the outlet, is it only the charger that causes this issue or is it possible that the DC jack could be the culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.