• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

P5AD2, RAID 5, and more than 4 SATA drives ?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to build a PC with
RAID 5 that can support up to 8 hard disks. I want to start with 4 or
5 hard disks, and I want to be able to add same-size drives as time
goes by. Note that the only reason that I want RAID 5 is for the
protection it provides. The performance gain (or loss) is not
important to me.

Now, according to http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/raid5-01.html,
it IS possible to have software RAID 5 on Windows XP.

So, what I'm really trying to figure out is this : what's the lowest
price I can pay in order to have a system that supports up to 8 hard
disks in a RAID 5 configuration.

I know I have the option of buying an 8-channel RAID 5 controller
(adaptec for example). What I want to know is : is there a cheaper
solution.

The P5AD2 motherboards support, it seems, up to 8 SATA hard disks.
What's not clear is : can 8 SATA hard drives be set up as an 8-drive
RAID 5 array with that motherboard, using Windows XP's software RAID 5
implementation ? Also, how easy would it be to increase storage space
by, for example, adding a fifth drive to a 4-drive array ? And so on
up to 8 drives ?

Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

In article <3318afc0.0502151718.65f75f5a@posting.google.com>,
snakedjip@yahoo.com (Snake Djip) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to build a PC with
> RAID 5 that can support up to 8 hard disks. I want to start with 4 or
> 5 hard disks, and I want to be able to add same-size drives as time
> goes by. Note that the only reason that I want RAID 5 is for the
> protection it provides. The performance gain (or loss) is not
> important to me.
>
> Now, according to http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/raid5-01.html,
> it IS possible to have software RAID 5 on Windows XP.
>
> So, what I'm really trying to figure out is this : what's the lowest
> price I can pay in order to have a system that supports up to 8 hard
> disks in a RAID 5 configuration.
>
> I know I have the option of buying an 8-channel RAID 5 controller
> (adaptec for example). What I want to know is : is there a cheaper
> solution.
>
> The P5AD2 motherboards support, it seems, up to 8 SATA hard disks.
> What's not clear is : can 8 SATA hard drives be set up as an 8-drive
> RAID 5 array with that motherboard, using Windows XP's software RAID 5
> implementation ? Also, how easy would it be to increase storage space
> by, for example, adding a fifth drive to a 4-drive array ? And so on
> up to 8 drives ?
>
> Thanks.

Enter "Software raid5" here, then click "SR Discussion Forums".
http://www.storagereview.com/search.html

Here is a sample discussion about monster arrays
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=18670

Here is a cheap SIL3114 controller. $30 for four SATA ports.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-124-020&depa=0
http://www.syba.com/us/en/product/43/02/05/index.html
http://www.siimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=28 (SIL3114 page)

Have fun,
Paul

I have the P5AD2 Premium mobo and love it. It actually has three separate
onboard RAID controllers. The INTEL ICH6R controller which allows for up to
4 SATA hard drives as RAID 0, or RAID 1. The second RAID controller is a
Silicon Image 3114R controller whcih will provide RAID 0, 1, 1 0, RAID 5,
and JBOD (Just a bunch of disks), again, using up to 4 SATA hard drives. The
third controller is an Intel ITE8212 IDE RAIDcontroller which provides
normal IDE or RAID 0,1,0+1, and JBOD using 2 Ultra DMA 133/100/66 IDE hard
disks. Bang for the Buck tells me that this mobo goes a long way to meeting
that need.

As a bonus this awesome mobo also comes with two Firewire IEEE1394b
connectors and PCI Express , two gigbit LAN controllers as well as a WIFI
802.11g, 8 USB 2 ports.

If you need more info, log onto the Asus website and download the manual.
Hope this helps a bit.

"Snake Djip" <snakedjip@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to build a PC with
> RAID 5 that can support up to 8 hard disks. I want to start with 4 or
> 5 hard disks, and I want to be able to add same-size drives as time
> goes by. Note that the only reason that I want RAID 5 is for the
> protection it provides. The performance gain (or loss) is not
> important to me.
>
> Now, according to
> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/raid5-01.html,
> it IS possible to have software RAID 5 on Windows XP.
>
> So, what I'm really trying to figure out is this : what's the lowest
> price I can pay in order to have a system that supports up to 8 hard
> disks in a RAID 5 configuration.
>
> I know I have the option of buying an 8-channel RAID 5 controller
> (adaptec for example). What I want to know is : is there a cheaper
> solution.
>
> The P5AD2 motherboards support, it seems, up to 8 SATA hard disks.
> What's not clear is : can 8 SATA hard drives be set up as an 8-drive
> RAID 5 array with that motherboard, using Windows XP's software RAID 5
> implementation ? Also, how easy would it be to increase storage space
> by, for example, adding a fifth drive to a 4-drive array ? And so on
> up to 8 drives ?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I've downloaded the mobo manual. It seems that all drive connector
groups on the motherboard can be set as non-RAID, and I am guessing
that this means that I could use all hard disks with XP software RAID.

From what I understand, there are 8 SATA connectors on the board (for
up to 8 SATA drives), and there are also 3 IDE connectors, 2 of which
can be used for on-board hardware RAID, or not... This would mean a
maximum of 6 IDE drives.

Since I'm going to be using a DVD-Writer in this machine, and since
I've read somewhere that it's not a good idea to connect an optical
drive on the same connector as a HD, my conclusion is that this
motherboard would theoretically let me connect 8 SATA HDs and 4 IDE
HDs, for a total of 12.

The first question that comes to my mind now is : can I mix
same-capacity SATA and IDE drives in a XP software RAID setup ? What
are the implications if it is possible ?

The second question is : since I'm using XP to control the RAID array,
this means XP has to be on a separate drive (does it?). Should I buy
a 10k drive for the OS, and regular 7.2k drives for the data ?

My last question is : what's involved when I decide that I want to add
another drive to increase capacity ? Let's say I have 4 drives in my
RAID array, and I decide to add a fifth one ? Is this at all possible
without reformatting (and losing the data on the existing drives) ?

3 questions, and really hoping for 3 answers :)

Thanks again