P5AD2 wireless disconnects. help!

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
Bought an asus p5ad2-deluxe lately with a linksys wrt54g router.

Big problem. The thing tends to disconnect periodically and I have no idea why. I've been browsing the net for a while so here is what I have.

WinXP was reinstalled a week ago when I installed the mobo. Using latest drivers from asus for the wireless. Disabled windows xp's control of the card so that only the card software that came with the drivers control it.

so far the router is still set on defaults besides small changes with the firewall not really worth mentionning (anyway the problem is not the internet but just the connectivity between the router and the wireless card).

Right now my router is about 4 feet away from the card's antenna (wich is connected to the card with a 2 feet or so long wire). Why so close, heh well im testing my setup first and since im having trubbles at 4 feet distance then I imagine at 20-30 feet ;-).

The signal is often rated at 5/5 or sometimes 4/5. Once connected it is usualy stable until it just cuts and either a rescan of the network brings it back alive with the software or just a reboot.

Im kinda out of options. No idea what to do here. So far im blaming the onboard wireless but I may be wrong. The blame is simply because my general opinion of onboard stuff is really not good ;-).

I would gladly go out there and buy a 3com wireless card but the big problem is that this board only has 3 pci slots and the only free pci slot is next to my vid card. When a card is on that slot, there is barely 1 or 2 mm between the fan of the vid card and the board of the other card. Results in making my vid card overheat in the 100 degree celcius (gasp!) but when sufficient cooling space, the card holds at 55-65 degree celcius.

The only real solution with a new wireless card would be a pci-express one as i have 2 empty pci-express slot, but i dont know if any exists at the moment so its a bit problematic.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You might want to give the windows wireless stuff a try. It is halfway decent in SP2.
If you are using wep, mac filtering, etc. try disabling it for a short period just for testing.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply. I already did that.

At the begenning I was running with the windows software and it did the same thing. Then I switched to asus's software with same results too.

As for encryption. My router is at its default settings, wich means no encryption, broadcast ssid on, stuff like that. Go park in front of my home and you can leech my net connect all you want ;-). Well not really cuz right now my router is not plugged to my net connection :).