Dec 1, 2006
Hey guys, I've recently put together a system with the following specs

Asus P5B
Intel e6600
3GB Generic RAM (Hynix chips)
Gainward 7600gs
Antec truepower 2 480W PSU
Seagate 320GB SATA2

I installed 3 modules of Generic 1GB PC-4200 only to have the computer freeze at the POST screen. I rearranged the modules to finally be able to enter the BIOS, which reported having detected 3GB. So I thought, "Great! Everything is working"

Wrong.

Having tried to install Windows 5 times and having the system crash (blue screen of death), I figured something had to be up. I then tried using only 2 modules (in single channel as when in dual channel they I couldn't get a VGA display) which allowed me to install Windows. After yet another series of crashes, I reduced the system to 1GB. The system finally ran stable (although only 1 of the 3 modules would work on their own). I tried flashing the board to the latest BIOS which offered no relief. To me, this sounds like faulty memory and have posted it back to the shop. As I await new memory being sent out to me, I would like to know what you all think of this situation...

I'd like to note that the serial on the chips ended with the code E3, which according to Hynix ( http://www.hynix.com/eng/02_products/01_dram/down/DDR2.pdf ) indicated the chips are infact DDR2-400 (which I didn't even know existed). Could this have caused the crashes as DDR-533 is the minimum required for this board?

Thanks,
Beatlesteve