P5B Deluxe + 4GB of RAM

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i have seen people running 4gb on p5b deluxe. and it runs flawlessly. if for any reason it doesnt work, then u simply go to bios and enable memory remapping. hope i helped.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Slighty off topic.
Can the P5B run a Yorkfield? I don't see it clearly on the Asus web-site.
All I see is support for 45nm and not quad core. Maybe this changed..

On topic:
If you are running Vista 32, don't bother with 4 gigs of Ram and don't bother with expensive RAM.
Expensive RAM @ 266 Mhz = cheap RAM @ 266 Mhz. Don't get high-end RAM unless you want to do serious overclocking (and take serious Risk)
Even with Vista 64, don't get 4 megs of RAM unless you KNOW you need it. 4 gig is faster than 2 gigs, but you need to be using more than 2 gigs to see the added speed.

Btw, the Asus P5B Deluxe is a very good motherboard, Should keep you happy for a long time.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks for your feedback, but I already own a copy of Vista 64 so not really a big deal. And I do overclock my CPU. I have a Core 2 Duo E6300 at 2.8ghz and I plan on going to a Quad Core shortly and most likely overclocking that as well. The RAM I have listed above is what I already own and its gotten fairly inexpensive. When I bought the same RAM last year it was $280 so right now at $100 w/ $60 mail in rebate is not a big deal.