P5B-Deluxe strange problem

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Hi everybody! I have a strange problem with my new asus p5b: front left audio channel of my 5.1 system is completely mute.
I checked everything, cables, connectors, the system itself, but everything works fine except from my motherboard output. The strange thing is that I already sent back a motherboard with a warranty claim... Because it had the exact same problem than this one :/....
Now it seems quite improbable to have the exact same defect on two different motherboards, so i'm asking for your help.
I tried to upgrade/downgrade drivers, upgrade bios, I tried the sound on Linux... And well, always my front left channel is mute, no matter of what system I'm using :(.
After checking on soundmax website i found a note:

20 I don't get audio out of the left (or right) speaker.

Certain Asus motherboards were shipped without "jumpers" set to their normal default settings. This would cause audio to not work or to only work in one speaker. Check your motherboard for the correct jumper settings.

The main problem is that I don't have any jumper, except for the "cmos clear" one... Maybe this is why it's called jumperfree :).
Is there a way to fix this or I'm so damn unlucky? :(

MANY thanx to everyone!

ps
Before you ask :): I checked every single cable and every single connector with a signal generator and an oscilloscope. The system on another computer works fine, I tested every driver version available from asus website and a beta unofficial updated driver I found elsewhere... Nothing :(. Thanx again to everyone, please help me :)

Try a different movie or song. I had the same problem. The audio on the left was was somehow cut out and I could only hear the right side.
When I changed movie the sound went back to normal.

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Thanx evongugg but it didn't work, I tried a .wav from microsoft for testing 5.1 systems without success, same result with different movies and multi channel audio files :(.

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Thanx for your help!

There are no jumpers on front panel connector, and I'm using all available pins, this is my configuration:

Clearly i set AC97 in bios setup.
Thanx for the link, but I'm already using k-lite, by the way I don't think it's a codec issue because I have the same exact problem on my linux box :(.

Thanx again.

Check the balance in Windows Media Player EQ settings, control panel, etc. That could result in sound from right side only.

Diagram 2: The 2 pairs of pin for front and back Line-Out's are usually connected with jumpers, i.e. the pins are shorted if no front headphone port is installed.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx090_b2.html

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
1. :p This is the first thing I checked :p

Maybe it's really a jumper problem... But I can't find a place to put jumpers on :(

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Diagram 2: The 2 pairs of pin for front and back Line-Out's are usually connected with jumpers, i.e. the pins are shorted if no front headphone port is installed.

Erm... And what if I have a front headphone port? :) (it's connected and working fine :((((((().

Btw: thanx again for trying :(

I'm gonna burn this motheboard and then I'm gonna curse its ashes... :)

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Look here too:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008816.htm

Thanx again, I just tried both the configurations without success, nor the first neither the second help my front left channel to work :). Do you know of any other jumper setting I could try?
I don't know if i'll buy an asus another time :(.

Thanxa again again and again.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The problem is the soundmax audio drivers on this board.
Causes some slow boot problems ...crackling ....or interference noise.
First I’ve heard of the channel problem.
Updated drivers are on the Asus site but they haven’t fixed all of the problems that I am aware of yet.
There are other drivers floating around the internet in the beta form but I haven’t been brave enough to try them.

banzo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
I'm using this version: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1988/AD1988_32bit_V51014580.zip

It's working fine, surely better than the official released version, mic sound is quite better, but my system (sometimes) still crash when I play with soundmax control panel options.... And of course no luck for front left channel.
Sincerely I can't understand how they can release a driver knowing that it cripples your sound system...

troep_post

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I have the SAME PROBLEM!!!!

Everything has been working fine until all of a sudden, the left channel just quit. I've done everything suggested here, with no luck.
The speakers work fine when hooked up to something else, and every program that i run says that it's sending the signal. i've updated all the drivers and checked all the connections, cables, etc.

this just sucks.

alex73

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
And I have the same problem on Soltek SL-NV400-L64!!

Here is what I found out so far:
It is the channel problem, not the connector - I concluded this when I connected the front panel audio connector to the JAUD1 connector on the board and had the same channel (front left) missing on the new connector (not the one on the rear).
Furthermore, the pin that bears the left channel out (bottom right) acts as ground pin (I get sound on the right speaker with only left and right line out pins connected, without connecting the ground pin).
I also played with my uni-meter and measured 0.53 Volts between right channel out pin (bottom middle) and the ground pin (upper left) on the JAUD1 connector, while I measured only 0.02 Volts on left channel.
After this I concluded that some electronic element has malfunctioned (I am a mechanical engineer).Then I just connected the both cables to the right channel so I have the both speakers playing the right channel.

I you guys find out the solution please send it here so I would use it.

The other solution is buying a PCI sound card for couple of Euros and forget about the onboard sound.