ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
Is there a hack to get two geforce 8 series cards running on an Asus P5E motherboard in SLI? I know there is for geforce 7 cards, but is there for geforce 8?

Thanks in advance.

komputer novice

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Per Maximum PC, Jan 2008 "Ask The Doctor"

"I recently built a new rig. It consists of an Asus P5K mobo, 2GB of Corsair RAM, an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, and two Nvidia 8600GT videocards.I remember checking for SLI compatibility, but I must have misread something! Unbeknownst to me, the P5K isn’t SLI-ready, it’s CrossFire-ready.

I spent the money on two graphics cards, not to mention the SLI connector, and am looking for a way to fix this. Unfortunately, I have no clue as to where the receipt is, so a return is unlikely. Is there any other way to solve this, short of buying a new motherboard?

—Kurt Colbourne The Doc has no cure for your ill, Kurt. AMD apparently helped HP develop a prescription for running two Radeon cards on an SLI motherboard, so there’s probably a way to run two Nvidia cards on a CrossFire mobo, but neither AMD nor Nvidia are keen on letting folks know how to do it. Such freedom of choice would clearly benefit consumers, but neither company sees it as being in their financial interest."