P5K-E WiFi-AP - RAID issue

Mase_00_7

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Hi all,

I've just upgraded my pc from an ageing but trusty old 64 3000+ and A8N-SLI Deluxe, to a shiny new E6750 and P5K-E WiFi-AP and 2gb of Corsair XMS2.

A couple of issues...

Firstly, when I don't enable RAID in the BIOS the PC recognizes both my Sata drives and boots instantly. However, I want my RAID0, and so I've set this up in the BIOS and installed Windows XP. This causes the PC to hang-about for 90 seconds or so before moving on from the post screen. I.e. it checks the CPU/RAM etc, says that I have a USB mouse plugged in, then the part where it would try to detect my SATA drives is where it sits for 90 seconds before moving on to check the JMicron controller and then finally telling me that my RAID is set-up. After this it boots into windows just fine.

How can I get things moving (much!) quicker? This is a very frustrating issue and I may RMA the board.

Second issue... I bought the 5-5-5-12 Corsair XMS2 ram, however it runs as standard at 5-5-5-18 with 2T timings. I've set this up in the BIOS to run at 5-5-5-12 1T and the changes make no difference. So my second question is how can I get the tighter timings on my memory!?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Mase_00_7

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Hi,

How do I specify my RAID setup as my boot drive?

In boot order, the only thing left enabled is my RAID array, I have disabled everything else.

With regards to the memory, I have checked and the specs of the memory seem to say that it should be using 1.9v, however looking at the SPD using CPU-z it shows voltage as 1.8v. I'll try to up the voltage when I get home.

CPU-z also shows 2 sets of timings; 1 set for running at 270Mhz and the other set for running at 400Mhz. @ 400 it shows 5-5-5-18 when it is rated at 5-5-5-15 by the sticker on the heatspreader, yet I've never seen 5-5-5-15 XMS2 sold anywhere, it's always 5-5-5-12 (hence the inclusion in my post below) or 4-4-4-12!

:heink:

khaz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I assume you have matching HDs for the RAID and that you hit CTL-I to set up the RAID. Make sure your hard drives are on SATA1 and SATA2 and that your dvd drive is on SATA6, NOT on the black jmicron ports. It doesn't say so in the manual, but it should.

When you installed windows, you pressed F6 and installed the LATEST Intel Matrix Driver correct? Not the one that came with the P5K-E wifi? If not, get it from Intel's site. Also, did you accidently install the AHCI driver (first in the list) instead of the last in the list? Almost everyone makes this mistake the first time.

I would not use a usb mouse until after you have installed the chipset drivers. You don't need it until the RAID is right anyway.

If you created a partition and did a clean install of windows after that, then I would check the Asus support forums. There is a sticky thread on setting up a RAID on p5k boards.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
from the sound of it your RAID is sitting on the JMicron controller, which needs time to initialize. How much - I don't know, it depends, there are sometimes other things you can switch off in the BIOS after it's all set up so that it does not querry all drives, but if the additional time you mention is attributed to the initialization of JMicron - sorry, you're SOL.

With regard to your memory - according to your post you are running it at 5-5-5-12 1T, which is what it is rated at, so what's your issue?

TRENDING THREADS