P5N-D Network Issues

jajamoo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Hey guys. I just upgraded my computer and one of the new pieced of hardware I added was the Asus P5N-D motherboard (nForce 750i SLI)that I bought from newegg.com. Everything works great except... I can't get on the internet using my ethernet cable. I 've tried connecting directly to my DSL modem AND to my D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router, but there is no connectivity whatsoever in either case. I try to connect to the Internet but it won't let me. The motherboard's running fine and so is the network adapter on it (according to Device Manager). I've called Verizon's tech support, who couldn't figure it out, they transferred me to D-Link's tech support (2 computers in the room I play/work in are hard-wired into the router, with the wireless for our laptop). I don't know what's happening. Is it the drivers for the motherboard? I am downloading new drivers for the motherboard as we speak, I'll bump this thread accordingly. Any fixes/suggestions?

Thanks,
Jajamoo

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
A couple questions:

Do you get a link light? At a minimum the conenction should show it knows somethign is at the other end of the wire (it will do this even without drivers).

Have you tried changing cables? This has been a problem once or twice.

Have you verified that DHCP is enabled? I assume you want to pull the address and DNS autmatically from the D-Link.

Have you tried a differnt port on the D-Link?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet with an updated driver.

These are te easiest fixes, there are any number of things taht can go wrong with networking. The first is probably the msot important, as it points to an issue at the physical layer.

jajamoo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Yes, I get an orange link light on my ethernet port (signifying the presence of a 100Mbit connection).

I have tried changing cables, to no avail.

DHCP is enabled.

Tried all the different ports on the router.

Installed the latest Ethernet drivers for the nForce 750i SLI motherboard.

--Would diabling the motherboard's ethernet port and buying a cheap Ethernet adapter, installing it in a free PCI port and using that as my ethernet card be a more viable option. I honestly think that this is a motherboard issue.

StevePituch

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I had this same problem with a new P5N-D last night. After installing XP Pro I assumed the Windows default network driver would be enough. But it would not find a network even though the two lights were orange. I then installed EVERYTHING from the Asus driver disk. I could then see the network but could not connect. After awhile the machine started rebooting, except when in safe mode. No matter what drivers I removed, it still kept rebooting constantly.

This morning I reloaded XP Pro. As soon as I first got into Windows I created a restore point. (don't know if that was necessary, but I didn't want to take another chance with a bad driver.) I then installed ONLY the ethernet driver from the Asus CD, nothing else). After that I was able to connect to the Internet, and everything since has been perfect.

I think Windows at times can't fully uninstall drivers. Using a restore point I would think should make removing a driver easier. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

Kenster1025

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

Excuse which CD did you use, was it a black CD, or the white CD, also what is the exact name of the Driver? Please respond thank you.

keepsix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hello

I have a P5N-D, And the only fix I found at the time was a driver for the 650.

Download this driver and install it. 8.43_nforce_650i_winxp32_english

I know I'm late on this threat but I'm also posting this for future inquiries.

Good luck.

Phobophile

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

I did it, then Blue Screen of moth** Fuc**r death.
Can't re-install windows XP Neither Vista
My computer is running on Ubuntu and didn't have acces to internet and that sucks!

I DO NOT recommend to install this n650i update on an P5N-D with a n750i Chipset (really not)