P5N-E SLI award beep codes.. please help

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Ok I have this motherboard. PC had been running fine and then just one day.. I turned it on. And it sounds like it is starting up and after about 5 seconds. All I hear is a single long beep code.. lasting maybe 20 seconds.. screen is black. Then it stops and starts the long code again. It's an award bios I believe and I saw no beep code like that.. I have seen other suggestions from people about the long beep code but I am at my wits end.. I have an intel dual core duo.. E6859 CPU.. this is what I have tried. Swapped out video card.. same issue. Swapped out Ram.. same issue. Finally pulled off heatsink on CPU cleaned it all up and put more compound on it.. (reason I did this was I thought maybe it was overheating since there was that pause upon startup..) STILL same issue. Tried other hard drives.. just to see it one crapped out. Same issue. Cleared CMOS same issue. All I really have left is power supply and I don’t think that is it. When I turn it on. All the fans and everything seem to be good. I can go out and try another one and then I have absolutely no idea.. there is never a POST.. just turn power on. One long beep.. black screen and nothing else. Anyone else have any ideas??

Check the CPU fan speed it could be running at a very low.
Also check all power connections from the PSU to the motherboard and GPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried just a single stick of RAM in the specified slot for using just one stick? If not try that using each stick individually. Btw, I used to have that same board years ago.

Next, check EVERY connection on the motherboard. The CPU power, 24-pin, all FP connections, everything you can spot that plugs in.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

***not sure how to check fan speed if i have a black screen and cant even get to POST... all connections are hooked up that i can see. have not found anything missing a connector.. BTW i went out an d bought a new power supply same issue. this is so aggravating.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

**i DID try one stick of ram as well. forgot to put that down. but yes i did that with old RAM sticks and New Ram sticks. same issue. I am going to try ordering a different type of Ram as a lot of places i have checked online indicate RAM.. all the connections seem to be good. meaning connected.

Since you stated that "...When I turn it on. All the fans and everything seem to be good...." then I thought you could see if the fan was spinning up or spinning at very low speed.

I don't if you tried the stick of RAM on all the RAM slots.
I have seen that long beep on motherboards with faulty memory controller or memory slot.
I don't know how you cleared the CMOS but try removing the CMOS battery for 15 minutes.
After removing the battery, press the power button for 15 seconds to drain any power from the capacitors.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015

ok as for the fan speed.. yes the heatsink fan is running normally.. fast speed. all the fans are.. BUT this is what i have found out. still working on it. i went back and tried a couple of sticks of ram. and went and tried one slot at a time. i have 4 slots since it is dual channel.. 1/3 go together and 2/4 go together. i slipped stick in 1.. still long beep. BUT this time. i slipped stick in 3.. and it actually booted up... not sure why this didnt happen last time. .. then i tried stick in slot 2.. same long beep. and when stick is in 4.. boots up.. so it looks like the first 2 slots are messed up. .. my next question is this. i guess i can use slot three using only the one channel. but can i also use slot 4 as well?? or will it only register slot three as having ram. i no longer use this pc for gamin g. jsut basic stuff. but i dont want to toss it. just want to know about only using the last 2 slots. never had to deal with this situation b4 so this is new. thanks for all the help so far. i really appreciate it :)

Yes, you could use both 3 and 4 slots, but it won't run as dual channel and you might need to disable 'Dual Channel in the BIOS first.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Hey.. sorry for the length of time to reply. i ended up getting another p5n board.. (used of course).. but i have a question now. since you said that you used to own the board.. i cannot seem to find the settings for the voltage for the RAM.. i want to check what it is set for. as the ram i put in keeps causing the pc to restart. i have the ram set for 4-4-4-12 which is what it looks like it should be. but it still resets.. so i want to check the voltage.. but dont find it anywhere. manual is useless. under the CHIPSET in Bios.. it has all the listings under memory timing such as TCL, TRCD,TRP, TRAS AS WELL AS ADVANCED SSETTINGS BUT I DONT SEE ANYTHING FOR VOLTAGE.. CAN U HELP?? THANKS.

You have to be sure of the memory timings (CL, Trcd, Trp & Tras ) and the voltages that the RAM module operates before messing around with voltages.
To change voltages go to 'Memory Voltage' under the 'Advanced' tab and change it from 'Auto' to 'Manual'.