P5N-E SLI only running video card at x1 not x16. Help! :(

Phrawst

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Mobo: P5N-E SLI (bios: 0604)
VC: Asus 8800GTS (320mb) (in primary blue pci-e slot, ez selector set to single video card)
RAM: 2 x 1gig Crucial Ballistix PC8000 DDR2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz

Video / Chipset Drivers: latest forceware and chipset drivers from nvidia. 158.18's / 15.00

CPU-Z and the System Info dialogue on the Nvidia Control Panel are both reporting that my card is only running at x1 and not x16.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, a variety of bios suggestions including manually upping the NB voltage and PCI-E mhz.

Right now everything in the bios is set to standard settings. I'm not trying to do any over clocking. I discovered my card was only running at x1 because I was getting horrible scores in 3dmark in both xp and vista.

Game performance on the other hand seems okay but if the card is only running at x1 I'm assuming it could be better.

Could really use some help here.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Hi, did you try reseating the ez-selector card or check it for bad connection. On the asus forum for your board there are a few people having the same problem but no definetive fix yet.Seen everything from upping voltages to leaving the card out or in SLI mode, at best getting it to work at 16x for a little while. The ez card seems like the most likely culprit here seeing as it is an extra electrical connection and the only thing(besides the board itself) that everyone has in common.
If you like living dangerously you could try jiggling it with the system turned on to see if that gets it right but that would be a last effort kind of thing and not highly recommended :D
If you do get it fixed please post the solution here for others to benefit..
Good luck!

Phrawst

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Yup. its an SLI board and the card is in the primary (blue) pci-e x16 slot on the board. Computer won't boot up in a one video card configuration unless its in that slot.

Phrawst

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Ya I haven't tried messing with the ez card yet as it requires me taking the video card out and I don't have much non stataic infested environments to try it out in.

Planning to take the system to my buddy's place this week and hopefully sort it out. I'll for sure post results if I manage to solve the problem. Thanks for the replys!

Dukem0069

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Mobo: P5N-E SLI (bios: 0604)

Have you tried upgrading the bios to the latest? I've read that many people have had problems with the older BIOSes.