Discussion P5N-E SLI Windows 10 Pro LAN fix

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This is more of a for the good of the order post, for anyone trying to keep their P5N-E SLI system running. I started installing Windows 10 on everything I could get my hands on this summer, which means all the dated computers set up in my garage for old school LAN parties. Anyway, a system with an ASUS P5N-E SLI had some weird issues with its onboard ethernet. My solution was to plug an old PCI ethernet card into the machine, and that made the onboard ethernet adapter behave.

At first I never got the old PCI card to work and then the onboard started working. So I took the card out. But then the onboard got confused and stopped working, crating a 169. . IP address. When I put the old card back in and booted, Internet access was almost immediately restored.

This might be because of the dual nature of that onboard ethernet adapter. But it seems to be a workaround for Windows 10 on this computer. BTW, new Realtec drivers get the sound going, not the automatically loaded ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
For any moderators, I am a formerly Distinguished member who joined back in 2002 with the user name Titanion. A short search can find some of my posts. I would rather restore my profile and name and forum life here, rather than use this Titanion2002 name. I took a break from this computer obsession, not really, for I have squeezed the life out of old 939, AM2, and 775 computers and not legacy GPUs. So I have been absent for a while, but this is one online identity I would like to continue. I sent an email to the Forum Administrator, but perhaps this avenue will be more fruitful.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
By the way, without knowing it, the same thing happened running this motherboard on Windows 7. I put in a PCI card because onboard ethernet stopped working, but then it worked again. And as time went by, I forgot the PCI card was even there.