P5Q and Realtek HD Audio problem

Fleener

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I'll try to keep this short. I was playing a game yesterday when my screen minimized. I noticed that there were notifications popping up from the Realtek HD Audio icon stating, "You just unplugged a device from the audio jack." Then there was a low humming sound coming from my headphones. I plugged in some speakers and the sound continued. I uninstalled the drivers, and installed the newest ones from the Realtek site. The humming was gone, and after I figured out to check the box that says, "Disable front panel jack detection" in the audio manager, I am now able to get sound. But, my microphone still doesn't work, and the Realtek HD Audio Manager still looks wrong. The Realtek HD Audio Manager shows all the audio related jacks on the computer. The 6 ANALOG Back Panel jacks, the 2 ANALOG Front Panel jacks, and the 1 Digital jack. Right now, I've got my headphones plugged into the green jack in the back of the computer, and my microphone plugged into the pink jack in the back of the computer. But, the Realtek HD Audio Manager seems to thing I've got them plugged in the front. I've posted the image below;

realtekHDaudio.jpg

I've tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager driver that came on the cd with my motherboard, the newest one from the Realtek site, the newest one from the Asus site, and even a modded version that was supposed to fix a similar problem. All of them come back with the same problem. Again, I've got sound, but my microphone isn't working, and the Realtek HD Audio Manager doesn't recognize any of the back panel jacks, and thinks that I've plugged into the front panel jacks. I'm currently running Windows Vista 64.

Thanks for your help :)

PhilUsher

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I have a similar problem and fear mine maybe partial failure of the on-motherboard Realtek chip.

In my case I fitted a "card fan" to help cool my two graphics cards. After install my Realtek drivers disappeared (all sound directed to my USB headset). After I checked settings and enabled the digital S/PDIF device (not something I was actually using) I was able to gain access to the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

There I found the same results as you. If I enabled front detection then the L/R speakers worked (which are actually plugged into the rear) but none of the others (Center, Sub, Rear L/R) work - all efforts to persuade the system to output to these were fruitless. I tried everything I could think of - from new drivers to really stupid things - must have rebooted 10 times.

The only change was the fan card so I opened the machine again and looked closely -- right there by the fan card slot is the Realtek audio chip - During install I fumbled the fan card and thought nothing of it - now I figure I must have damaged the Realtek chip.

As a workaround I have disabled the Realtek HD Audio and installed a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme PCIe card. -- It works fine and certainly a lot cheaper than a new motherboard and much easier than dealing with a motherboard replacement.

If you discover the cause of your problem is something other than chip failure please let me know.

Good luck.

nuwanrosh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Nuwan Roshan from Srilanka

In most cases of sound problems in Realtek chip in the Intel board is due to the bad chip. In some instances, you may notice it by toughing the chip while the PC is powered. The main Realtek sound chip and nearby 8 pin DIP chip (may be regulator chip) get excessive hot !!!. Normally, these chips works with considerable hot, but, we can tough them.
One reason for that failure may be the bad Headphone. In most cheap headphones have low impedance and sometimes they make short circuits inside the wires !!!!
The easiest solution is replacing with the PCI sound card.

Good luck

nuwanrosh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Nuwan Roshan from Srilanka

In most cases of sound problems in Realtek chip in the Intel board is due to the bad chip. In some instances, you may notice it by toughing the chip while the PC is powered. The main Realtek sound chip and nearby 8 pin DIP chip (may be regulator chip) get excessive hot !!!. Normally, these chips works with considerable hot, but, we can tough them.
One reason for that failure may be the bad Headphone. In most cheap headphones have low impedance and sometimes they make short circuits inside the wires !!!!
The easiest solution is replacing with the PCI sound card.

Good luck

Olly_64

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Had same problem but problem isn't the chip.
In Realtec Audio Manager, if you hover over the pink and green icons for the front panel you'll probably see they're both set up for speakers or headphones.
To solve you first need to unplug the microphone.
Then click on the 'folder' icon, which is just to the right of where it says 'ANALOG'.
Then make sure you enable fron't panel jack detection and enable the auto pop-up dialog.
Then plug the mic in, and when the pop-up asks tell it that you've plugged in the Mic.
Suggest you disable the front panel detection and the auto pop-up afterwards as it's a right pain.
You can get a similar end result if you use the 'Connector Retasking' facility - just right click on the pink or green socket icon.
Hope this helps someone.
Olly

ProfChandra

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I am extremely grateful to you for this advise. The key to solving this riddle is in clicking the "Folder" icon. I have been struggling with this problem (no sound from speakers connected to the real panel) and your instructions worked like a charm. In the past 8 months since I had tried several other methods and none worked. I am so grateful.
Prof Chandra

Olly_64

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
No problem - I scratched my head for ages to find out how it worked so I knew someone else would benefit from me posting a step-by-step solution. Olly

splashchris

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Olly -
Thank you so much for sharing this information. I've been trying to get HD audio working on my computer for many months without success. Following your instructions I had it working in less than 5 minutes. Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Chris

barky02

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

do you know what to do for laptops, I don't have the folder Icon
10rlq37.png

TRENDING THREADS