P5Q Pro + E8400 cost more power consumption than B75m-d3v + i5 3570?

Jun 29, 2018
I bought a Acbel 510 E2 plus from 2013.

at first, I used that PSU with the case:
main: B75m-d3v.
CPU: i5-3570 ( non-K),
RAM: 2 x DDR3 8gb,
VGA: GTX 750 1gb,
5 hdd + 1 ssd.
Acbel still play good.

3/ But several week ago, I bought a 2nd case:
main: P5Q-Pro,
CPU: E8400,
RAM: 4 x DDR2 2gb,
VGA: GT420,
5 hdd, 1 ssd.

When run this 2nd case with that same Acbel 510 E2 plus from 2013.
BANG!
It fried one of 5 hdd.

I'm total suprise.
is mainboard P5Q Pro + E8400 cost more power consumption than B75m-d3v + i5 3570? Even when I still not overclock?

I tried to find any review abou P5Q Pro's power consumtion, but I found nothing.
So how much power consumtion I need to support to run that 2nd case?

Thank you.

Solution
I can't claim with 100% certainty but I don't think your "i5 rig" is fried - dead.
Borrow from someone working PSU and check if your "i5 rig" is alive.
If everything is ok with your "i5 rig" then focus on buying brand new PSU, later you can buy GTX1060.
PSU in your situation has higher priority.

Advice: Focus on getting PSU from some manufacturer that has a good reputation (EVGA, Chieftec, Silverstone, Cooler Master etc), also look for 650W or stronger PSU.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.

cyber-what

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Hello,

I would recommend you to try this: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
It will give you some info how much your configuration draws power.

If one of your hard drives is fried then you should inspect your power supply since it is PSU that supplies your drive with power.
I'm assuming that 2nd rig does draw more power which overloaded your used up PSU. Maybe fuses inside PSU have failed or some capacitor or something third which led to your hard drive being fried. Check it out.

Overall I wouldn't use that power supply anymore because there is a real chance that it will fry something else.

cyber-what

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Well... Your "i5 rig" draws more power according to this calculator BUT...
If you remove GTX750 from that equation you will see that it draws far less power than "E8400 rig". Which is correct.
Why? Most of the time your "i5 rig" uses integrated graphics that is on your i5 processor which draws faaaaar less power than GTX750 while on "E8400 rig" that's not the case because it doesn't have integrated graphics and has to use GT430 all the time.

Power consumption of the motherboard is insignificant to even consider it. Conclusion is that motherboard can't be responsible for the fact that your HDD is fried.
Overall your Power Supply Unit is dying and you should replace it before it does even more damage.

I hope this helps.

Jun 29, 2018
thank you.

PSU always is the part which made me terrified. A PSU which be written is 510 but can't run even 330w case.

this still is my fortune. If I buy GTX1060 for my i5 case instead this 2nd E8400. May be that PSU fried i5 case already.

I ask this question because I fear that every mainboard need different power consumtion. So, my case i5 may be be fried in the future, if I upgrade to high-end mainboard like H77 or Z77.

cyber-what

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
I can't claim with 100% certainty but I don't think your "i5 rig" is fried - dead.
Borrow from someone working PSU and check if your "i5 rig" is alive.
If everything is ok with your "i5 rig" then focus on buying brand new PSU, later you can buy GTX1060.
PSU in your situation has higher priority.

Advice: Focus on getting PSU from some manufacturer that has a good reputation (EVGA, Chieftec, Silverstone, Cooler Master etc), also look for 650W or stronger PSU.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Solution