P5Q Pro Overclocking question

AlterReality

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I've been overclocking my E8400 on a P5Q Pro board and after successfully getting it to 3.825ghz with Vcore of 1.375 (I started at 1.4 and am on my way down). I also OC'd my RAM to 850 mhz with 1.86v (again working my way down).

However, after reading this article:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3184&p=6

I was wondering about Load Line Calibration. Is it still recommended that we disable that function?

Edited: Removed a question because I found my answer after reading a new thread!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oh Gawds! Just monitor your voltage yourself, don't you do that? You will be assured of seeing any power serges, spikes or other wise with the newest version of HWMonitor, which records a high, low and current value. Leave it on all day, then look to see if the voltages have had any serges.

LLC is one of the best functions around. If you are not overclocking, then leave it disabled.

I read that same thing just this morning. And while they are right. Most mobos have independent and very good power management and distribution systems.

I have only seen a single board that spiked. XFX 780i I hope it was a glitch, because the vcore would spike to 4.09 volts, and HWMonitor was what I used to capture it. (Always contaminated my screen shots, looked like I was nuts with VCore. Since boards don't go that high for VCore voltage, I thought it was just a glitch, and still believe it to be so.)

So pay attention to your own board. And just use the usual tools. Core Temp, HWMonitor, CPUz, and Prime95!

Yee haw!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, thats telling them, Shadow! Tweak your GTL and VTT. And you are worried about LLC? Hahaha, now thats great! Just what you need to do is get people using VTT so they over volt their poor chip without knowing it!

Stick with LLC and just monitor your own voltage. You don't wanna touch VTT and GTL unless you are having problems that can only be solved with it. IE, interference from one logic or another! (Since there is just two logical states.)

VTT and GTL have to do with the way your processor determines if it needs to spit out a logical 1 or 0. Your processor is always gonna be supplied with VTT voltage every time your chip goes from a low level logic to high level.

(Basically 2.4 million times a second, or whatever, is the possibility of it swapping.) So here is what happens if your VTT is 1.2000 and your Core Voltage is 1.1500. A device in the processor assists the signal in raising from low to high, by pulling the voltage up to VTT.

I have no intentions of typing out all that is relevant with the processor, and GTL, and VTT, and the others.

Anyways, you are free to do whatever you wish to your computer, of course, I can only make a recommendation!

--Lupi

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Wow! your way high on your Vcore, you dont need anywhere near that for your clock speed!

My system is P5QPro,E8400,Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 4x1 Gig

My 8400 is purring along at 3.85Ghz at 1.2640v's, barely above stock volts!
Your only generating extra heat for no gain at those volts.

Are you on a stock cooler? If so what temps you getting, I max out at 55 degrees with aftermarket 120mm cooler.