P5Q Pro wont recognize IDE HDD

ThrottleAbuse

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Just like the title states. I have tried the Marvell thing enabled, disabled, and the second setting under it enabled too. I am not sure, but I think the first setting under the marvell ide is supposed to be enabled and the sub setting should be enabled. When I start the computer it looks for the drive, but doesnt find it. I updated to the new bios, but still no luck. Are there any other settings I should be looking at? Am I missing something?

ThrottleAbuse

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
So I checked all the settings and they seem correct. I tried a IDE CD burner I had and it worked fine. I am wondering if my HDD is dead or it is somewho a drive that isnt recognized. I think its a Western Digital Caviar, but I dont remember and I cant look now as I am at work.

bbock727

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I have the same exact problem, i have a dvdrw that works fine, but no matter the jumper setting, i cant get my ide harddrive to be recognized.. any help out there?

Jan_Solo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I have a similar problem. I recently have bought a new PC and I cannot get my splashtop to boot.

- MoBo ASUS P5Q PRO
- 4 x 2GB Geil Evoone RAM
- 1 WD 1 TB Caviar 16 MB HDD (MoBo SATA Port 1)
- 1 Maxtor 200 GB (Old one, don't have specs
- 2 x Pioneer DVD Burners (MoBo SATA Port 3 + 4)
- MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX280 1 GB

BIOS settings:
- Quickboot enabeled (as it should)
- Marvell IDE adaptor (on both options) enabeled (as they should indeed)
- ExpressGate enabeled (prompt user)
- SATA controler on IDE-mode (enhanced)

I have updated to the latest BIOS version, and I'm running the latest splashtop sw on my HDD (C; 20 GB partition; NTFS; Win XP 32)

Anyway, I tried different BIOS settings, I tried to install the software on different drives/partitions (I even tried one with FAT32) - Note: I made sure it was only installed at one partion a time.

@ booting, when the Marvell adaptor boot, I get this message:
Adaptor 1 Disks information:
No hard disk detected.
HDD in BIOS recognised (Both HDD)

I'm still working on this issue. Tonight I'm going to try to install it at a USB stick and boot it from there. But even if splashtop boots, this still doesn't solve the prob.

Also, does anyone know how to update the marvell adaptor BIOS, and where I can get a newer BIOS-version of it? Maybe it get updated when you perform a BIOS update. If I use the ASUS website, there's only a link to the ExpressGate software download (the splashtop).

If anyone has a suggestion, please post. I'm getting pretty desperate at the time.

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
May seem silly, but re-check all your connections. I just had this problem on my SATA drive and I found that the SATS cable had come loose. Also try different cables from the drive to the MB, maybe the cable is bad.

Jan_Solo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Tried to boot from USB. Never done this before :-s
Didn't work. First I tried to install ExpressGate on my USB stick. It didn't boot. Then I copied the Win XP install cd to my usb stick under the root, tried to boot (USB stick plugged in straight on the mobo) and failed. Still my USB stick was accesed when booting, and recognised in BIOS. I'm puzzeled...

Jan_Solo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I mailed ASUS support with my problems and questions, and this was their reply:

You can not update the marvel ide adapter, a problem will be fixed with a bios update.

So I mailed back asking more information. I didn't liked the answer: 'A' problem will be fixed in 'A' BIOS update. That's twice 'a' !!!
I stopped wasting my time in searching how to change the settings. It seems that the EG is dependent from 2 things: HDD and Graph Card, or so I understand from reading different fora.
I do think that the problem is one (or some) BIOS components that are not up-to-date yet.
to jmacfarlane: I have checked the connections, but everything was connected. I didn't change cables (yet) but I doubt it would be the solution. HDD is recognized in BIOS and I can boot from it.
Anyway, for now it's waiting for an answer from ASUS support.

Jan_Solo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Got a reply from ASUS. They have sended me the link of the manual. I told them I've read the manual. But it seems they don't want to help. Tried a last time. Very good costumer support from ASUS. I can tell you now that this is the last time i bought something from ASUS ever!
I'm still going for the answers. Might be a while before you hear from me now. I will post a reply when I have something to tell on how to solve those probs.

thaenzy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Were you able to fix it Jan_Solo?
I'm having the same problem;
ASUS P5Q Pro
Q9550
2x2GB OCZ
HD4870
Samsung 750GB
Corsair 550W
new DVD writer

I find the disk and dvd writer in the bios but when I try to install I get the error 'Dmboot.sys is corrupted, press any key to continue.'.

Already updated to the latest bios, disabled marvell and expressgate but still... no succes :(

Jan_Solo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I wasn't able to solve the prob. I'm a professional test engineer and though I'm not used to test hardware, it is very similar to testing software. In my opinion it is a problem with the Marvell connector. It seems unable to find the HDD. At this moment it is impossible to update its BIOS.

I have been checking different fora in the mean time and it seems that the videocard can also form a problem (which seems strange to me).

I have contacted asus, which was a disaster. I told them what my problem was and asked them how to solve. They replied with a vague answer on a question I didn't ask. I replied, asking the same questions again. This time I received the link to the manual, which I told them I read from front to back to front again... So I replied with the same questions again: How can I boot my splashtop... They just closed the topic. how rude :(

2 thaenzy: You have a very recent video card so I think there's the problem. It's not supported yet. So My estimated guess is that we have to wait for a new ASUS BIOS update which gives the proper support to all you hardware parts.
If yo ever get it to work, please tell me...

therschbach

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I am having a similar problem with my P5Q Deluxe.

I have a SATA drive and an IDE HDD (Slave) and IDE DVD drive (Master). Vista installed just fine on the SATA and I can see the IDE HDD through vista and can transfer files to and from, but the BIOS doesn't see the IDE HDD and therefore I cannot install XP onto it as it is not an option when XP asks where I want to install. BIOS does however see the IDE DVD.

Anyone know of a fix for this yet?

tderbanne

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I also have a similar problem with my recenlty bought P5Q Deluxe:

I installed WinXP on a new SATA HDD, and it can boot just fine.
When I plug in either of my 2 older IDE drives (both set as slaves), the system won't start
I also have a sata DVD burner plugged in

From the bios it appears that ony the dvd is recognized on the sata channels.
I tried every combinaison of sata configuration to no avail:

the sata hdd is recognized when alone, and XP boots on it
it is not recognized anymore when both the IDE HDDs are plugged in
(I did not try to boot with only one IDE HDD)

Thanks for the help

chris26_jp

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Add me to the list!
I recently bought a p5q pro and am having similiar issues. I loaded vista ultimate on a SATA Drive and it works just fine. My DVD is IDE and that works just fine. When I plug in one of my old Hard disks on the IDE Cable along with the DVD I get all kinds of trouble with the HD. One of those HD is a linux drive. I have to force to the computer to boot with it by unplugging the Sata Drive. When Linux comes up it tells me that the hard drive it is booting from DOESNT EXIST! Haha, funny. Bios wont let it get recognised. After days of playing with settings, and talking with various people I have come to the conclusion that this motherboard is just not set up correctly to work with IDE drives. I am going to have to get a new SATA and call it a loss for my old drives I guess.

Thanks for quality control on a finished product Asus!

tderbanne

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
My problem actually was a simple master/slave conflict that was resolved after I put the jumpers correctly, and fixed the mess XP did afterwards with testdisk (excellent software there) since then, the disks are properly recognized by the bios, but my system is crashing a few times a day with BSODs

I have removed a RAM bar from its slot, and had less crashes (or so I thought)
I tested the drives and the RAM with the utilities from the Ultimate Boot CD but no error was found
the seagate disk anayzer did say "Drive was overtemp" but I haven't looked into what it means

When I get home to my PC tonight, I bet it will have crashed at least once
Is anyone interested by what the event logger says? there are many errors there

allan747

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I have a P5Q with a sata drive which works perfectly, however when I install my
IDE drive it is not recognized in the bios or by windows. I have tried all jumper settings. My ide dvd burner works fine when connected with the same cable. I unplug the burner and plug the cable into the ide drive (which has windows xp installed as well) and it is still not recognized at all.

garyl

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

I think the "videocard explanation" has to do with PCI Express cards requiring more current from the 12 V rails than your Power Supply can deliver (some need 20 Amps or more on each 12V rail, assuming that your Power Supply has two such rails) and this can make the system unstable...which may cause strange symptoms like a failure to detect your IDE devices. But my system has a budget video card that draws a very low current (7 to 10 Amps) and I still have some IDE detection problems (2 out of 4 IDE devices fail detection). So in my case something else is wrong.

I think there's a problem with the IDE controllers from Third Party manufacturers like Marvell, JMicron etc. So the problem may be present on any recent Motherboard that has the Intel Southbridge chipset because this chipset only supports SATA and doesn't support IDE/PATA ... which is why the board manufacturers opted to put "non Intel" IDE controllers onto their boards.

I read on a Linux forum that such IDE controllers typically won't run in UDMA mode, only in the Slower PIO mode. So it seems to me that it's a compatibility issue that the board manufacturers really don't want to know about. (I've also tried my problem IDE devices on an IDE-USB adapter and on a PCI card IDE controller but without success. They probably have similar implementations of the IDE standard).

I've switched to SATA to save myself a lot of grief.

garyl

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi Thaenzy.

I found a link to someone who solved their dmboot.sys problem at http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/28811/

They removed a stick of RAM and it fixed their problem.

pwnzerfaust_42

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hey all - only solution I've found is to use a SATA hard drive. I tried 3 windows operating systems on 4 IDE hard drives, they would all install then refuse to get past initial load screen on the very next boot. Judging by forums i looked at to try and fix this, I can tell you 3 things:

1) The marvel IDE controller seems incapable of running an OS on the IDE connection
2) SATA hard drives have no problem and work quite well with this MoBo
3) The IDE issue is widespread enough the ASUS knows about it, but they aren't educating their IT people about it... :pfff:

Yeah, you can try flashing and updating bios and hoping you get it fixed... and possibly jack up your motherboard. I recommend getting the cheapest SATA hard drive you can live with - it's an easy and effective fix.

P.S. - I'm an aerospace engineer. Yeah, rocket science. It took me, a computer science major and two electrical engineers (not to mention all the people I called at ASUS, Micro$oft, etc.) two weeks of bashing our heads on this before I gave in and bought a SATA drive. Save yourself the trouble.

ubbebot

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hi. I just got a P5Q deluxe today, and I am really regretting the purchase. I have three IDE hard drives, but no SATA drives. BIOS recognizes the drives and gives the correct boot order, but when I try to boot I get the "insert boot device" error.

When I try to boot from my DVD-RW drive (also IDE), windows gets to the detecting hardware text, and then the screen blanks and nothing else happens.

I am using an IDE converter in a PCI slot to handle two of the IDE drives. The other drive and DVD-RW is being run off the IDE port on the motherboard itself. I've tried swapping them around, but to no avail.

Is there a workaround yet, or am I just screwed? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS