P5VCD-MX Several problems, perhaps one solution?

Chandria

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I had this motherboard installed recently. Since then the fan has not been keeping the system cool enough and is really very loud. The comp will also lock up and/or reboot unexpectedly, especially when playing games. 3D is much worse then 2D. :roll:

I was thinking that the problem might lie in the on board Graphic accelerator and thought that installing a card might allievate all of my problems. But I'm not sure that I don't already have one in there, just not hooked up right.

If I don't, I can only install an AGP8x card and wanted to know the best one that I can get that will last me a while.

This systems is only a couple years old and I've already had to install a new motherboard and a new HD because I didn't want to reformat my old one (now in the F: position).

Not up on the lingo so, if someone could help me in as plain language as possible? :? I'm not going to try to install this myself, just looking to not get screwed by a saleman looking to dump off old discontinued junk on me just because he may know more than I do.

Hmm, let me see if I can get my system info to help you.

V2 Premier comp
motherboard P5VDC-MX
Memory 1Gig (DDR_1 & DDR_2 slots filled to make this)
Cards in both the PCI slots, one I think is a RealTek sound/video card or TIVO one, not sure (it has what looks like a cable hookup on it, sound and mike hookups, a single pin connector and a funny shaped yellow one, looks a lot like a mouse connector but it's the wrong color for that, mebbe a game controller port, I don't know) I don't get any sound out of it when I plug my speakers in to test it and I don't have a game controller to try.
The other card I don't have any clue on what it's for, I have no equipment that has plugs that fit it. The ports like kind of like USB ports but smaller than that)
AGP slot is empty

*Waits for about a minute before going on*
Well, now that you've mebbe stopped laughing at my ignorance, :wink: you can tell me if I need a card or if my current one is not hooked up correctly? :lol:

Chandria

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
20 people looked and no one has a solution?

I could really use some help on this one, people. Not everyone is totally comp savvy.

From doing some digging around my materials, I've come to the conclusion that this is not a video card. It's just a sound card/game controller card that's not hooked up properly. That leaves me with the question on what card to get for this motherboard that will last me a while. I'm going to try to move this post over to the graphic card forum and mebbe I'll get an answer there.