P5W DH Deluxe BIOS v 1407

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
I'm running the 1407 BIOS, on the first boot after the BIOS installation, the CPU multiplier was unlocked BOTH ways (from 6 to 20). On subsequent boots, however, it was only unlocked DOWN (6-9, I'm running an E6600).
Curious; at some point I'll flash once more and see if the situation can be replicated.

anyone else experiencing this?
Doesn't take 'experince'.
What KOne and GrimReaperGuy said, it's set by Intel. Nothing more to it nor can it be changed.
No myth, no nothing. The whitesheet is already there.

So you're completely denying the fact that it can be changed b/w 6-10 (e6700) with the 1407 BIOS and the new P5B BIOS?

jrwalte

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I'm running the 1407 BIOS, on the first boot after the BIOS installation, the CPU multiplier was unlocked BOTH ways (from 6 to 20). On subsequent boots, however, it was only unlocked DOWN (6-9, I'm running an E6600).
Curious; at some point I'll flash once more and see if the situation can be replicated.

anyone else experiencing this?
Doesn't take 'experince'.
What KOne and GrimReaperGuy said, it's set by Intel. Nothing more to it nor can it be changed.
No myth, no nothing. The whitesheet is already there.

You are actually incorrect, and Anandtech has proven this. Some e6600 and e6700 are able to have the multiplier unlocked UP and down with the new Asus BIOS. Apparently ASUS found a way to circumvent Intel's multipier lock. They have no idea how to identify which CPUs are capable of unlocking up yet, but they got the one they had to do it.

jrwalte

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps I should go ahead and buy a cheap LGA 775 CPU just in case I should ever run into that problem, huh? I didn't realize BIOS updates could screw you over that bad!

Don't waste your money. It's not your problem, it's Asus'. If the BIOS of the P5W you buy is too old to support Core 2 Duo, then you may return the MB to your retailer for a replacement. If they won't take it back (which they should) then you can contact Asus directly and they may ship you a new BIOS chip with an updated BIOS on it.

mockthedevil

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
With a phone call to Asus, they WILL ship you a new BIOS chip. They did this for many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks, including me, who ordered their stuff right at the C2D launch.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not at my PC now, but if you guys can post screenshots of the new BIOS, and what settings to change for OPTIMAL OC'ing, that would be great.

I updated to this version last night. Appears to be working fine. No difference to me.

There are some new fields that are not covered in Wusy's guide. It would be great to have a OC'ing guide, WITH SCREENSHOTS, dedicated to the P5W DH mobo. It's so popular - many people will use it!

Just some thoughts .........

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
anyone else have an issue with the motherboard taking too long to boot into Windows?

my bios was booting pretty quickly a couple of days ago. now all of a sudden its taking forever and having the same problem when i'm in the bios and try to go into the hardware monitor it just freezes. i tried reflashing the bios and after reboot i got a screen that said cmos bad, is anyone else experiencing these problems, and does anyone know what it mean by cmos bad.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Anyone know what BIOS to use to load Vista up? XP is pissing me off! So, I'm going to try Vista for a while! The ICH7 drivers are my main issue. Is there a setting in the BIOS to help resolve this?

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
do you think its xp. my bios bootup was woking fine up until yesterday. now all of a sudden i can't go into hardware monitor unless in default in bios default settings.

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
With a phone call to Asus, they WILL ship you a new BIOS chip. They did this for many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks, including me, who ordered their stuff right at the C2D launch.

after flasing my bios on reboot i got a screen that said cmos bad, is that the bios gone gone bad.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Be patient with the hardware monitor in the BIOS. Normally takes around a minute or less to load up. If it's not working, then I have no idea. Other than that, Windows has been giving me some real problems with this setup, specifically Nero and the ASUS programs (ASUS Wi-Fi, ASUS Probe II, ASUS Remote, Realtek HD Audio). These are slowing the windows load up. Could be due to BIOS. Not sure, I'm just going to disconnect the Wi-Fi and the ASUS remote, since it's not very handy. Is there a setting in the BIOS to disable the Wi-Fi? Other than clicking on that "Arrow" icon in the taskbar that allows you to "remove" when the stupid thing is soldered to the board! My opinion: Wi-Fi soldered was stupid! Should have just made it a plug in like ABIT has done with their Fatality sound boards.

Side note: Might be going back to 1301 BIOS. Like the saying goes, "If it works, why try and fix it?"

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
just 2 day ago everthing was working fine pc probe loaded quickly and now it takes about 2 minutes. nero also didn't want to work but i reinstalled it now its working, my aibooster is also reading everthing wrong. i'm on a emotional rollercoaster right now :D :( :?: :?:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
With ASUS Probe II, I noticed that if you changed the update value to anything less than 3 seconds, ASUS Probe LAGS! Secondly, I uninstalled Nero 7 and installed Nero 6. NADA! Still doesn't work. I hate to say this, but I'm honestly starting to regret going with this setup. Perhaps, I should have either: waited for Quad Core or gone with an AMD setup, or remain using my old Athlon 64 3200. It never gave me a problem like this new setup! :(

Anyone find any new BIOS?

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
i was having problems before aibooster.

my old Athlon 64 3200. It never gave me a problem like this new setup!

i ditched my x2 and dfi setup for this one. i'm going to try the old bios and see what happens hopefully that will fix it.

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
i disconnected my case fans from the motherboard and boot time is back to normal. i noticed my boot time slowed down when i installed the new fans. also no more waiting to get into the hardware monitor in the bios, seem the bios is really slow when it has to read so many components.

The sky isn't falling after all! :D

KOne

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
if you have fans powered by the board try disconnecting them and power them with the psu, it should speed up your bootup. it worked for me