p5w dh deluxe.Can't install xp using intel controller.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hi all, I've had to install xp connecting my sata hard drive to the jmicron controller on this board with no problems. The thing is Ive heard that the intel controller is faster and better all round but try as I might I just cant get it to work.
When I connect up to the intel sata controller I pop the xp installation disc in the drive and when it checks my hardware configuration as it normally does, 2 things happen.
1. The screen showing the scanning and loading of drivers etc is black instead of the usual blue.
2. After it has gone through the check it just hangs with a black screen and then nothing. That's it!
By the way I am also able to install windows using the ezraid controller.
Is there a jumper setting on the motherboard for the intel controller or have I just bought a mobo which has a faulty intel controller?
Thanks in advance.

Oh nearly forgot.......
Asus p5w dh deluxe (with 1901 bios)
6600 core two duo
Samsung hd401lj 400gig hard disc
asus 1950pro
2 gig corsair xms memory.

steffato

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi,
Had a similar problem using the Intel PATA port on the board and a NEC ND 3551 drive. The board would only boot from XP or Vista installation cd/dvd and nothing else. Apparently, it is fixed using Compatible mode for SATA/PATA controllers and forcing the drive to PIO-0 DMA-1 modes. It can be done in the Standard BIOS Settings in ASUS BIOS. Lately, Isaw that it has been fixed in 1707 firmware.

Hope this helps you.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks sirdevon. That is where the problem lies though. I am unable to install the Intel ICH7R/chipset drivers. My floppy works 100% fine and when I press f6 to install the drivers from the floppy the same thing happens and in fact sometimes it says that no floppy was found. I really regret buying this motherfarker sorry motherboard. It's full of bugs.
Stefato, I cant see any option in the bios to change PIO-0 DMA-1 modes. only the standard ahci or ide mode settings.
Thanks for your replies so far.

steffato

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Well, into Main, goto IDE CONFIGURATION and set the following:

Configure SATA as: Standard IDE
Onboard IDE Operate Mode: Compatible

Then back to MAIN, move to your DVD drive and press enter
There are the options you need to adjust.
Hope this helps.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks steffato. Tell me this, why would one want to change to PIO-0 DMA-1 mode? What does this mean and why would I want to apply it to the dvd drive as opposed to the hard disc?
Also I read in different places on these boards that the hard disc should be set to raid in order to utilize ncq and up the transfer speed for the hard drive. Sorry for this and I wouldn't blame you for not replying, there's alot to answer.

SirDevon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
One quick question:
What DVD drive are you using? SATA or PATA interface.. and what controller do you have it plugged into?

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hi and thanks. I have a pioneer dvr111 dvd drive and it's an ide model.
I tried connecting it to the intel ide controller at first and like many on this forum had major problems with it (system slow down etc the list is endless) so I have it plugged into the jmicron ide controller at the bottome of the board which is a bit of a stretch.
One thing I tried and worked was to put in the xp disc into the drive and when it examined my system prior to installation I was able to f6 and install the intel drivers. Mind you then I got a bsod a little while after. So I rebooted into windows and the add new hardware tab came up and I was able to run xp as normal. Now when I tried adding another hard drive into the intel controller alongside the original the machine wouldnt boot properly and just kept restarting so I resorted to connecting back to the jmicron controller and it boots up.
Sorry to be so vague but do you know of any threads which explain step by step how to set up xp using the intel controller on my mobo?
Thanks in advance.