P5W DH DELUXE freezing during drive detection

computerhell

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello,

Having a bizzaro experience here:

P5W DH Deluxe
Intel q6600 qaud core 2.4
2 gig ram (have 6 but just running one piece for now whilst testing)
Fractal r2 500w psu
EVGA Geforce 210
Seagata baracuda 1tb
LG dvd

Ok, all that is plugged in is: the keyboard, the HD (Sata) and the DVD drive (Sata), and the graphics.

HD is plugged into sata 1
DVD into sata 2

Basically when entering bios it does an auto detect for each drive

It finds: Third master (hd on sata 1) and third slave (dvd on sata 2)
then during auto-detecting fourth master (there is no actual fourth master) and then freezes..

If unplug everything the I get the same result, and it again freezes on auto-detecting the fourth master...If I just plug the HD in, it's the same, or just the dvd drive...

If I plug something into sata 4 I get the same result..nothing is recognised on this port and it freezes again on auto-detecting fourth master..

Strangely If I plug HD into sata 1 and dvd into sata raid 1, then only the HD is detected and I can boot into bios..However without the dvd drive I can't install an OS to the HD..so I'm stuck..

I can live with just 1 hd and 1 dvd if need be, bit sad but still..

Can anyone help, I forgot how bizzare pc's can be :(

thanks

computerhell

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Yes I updated the bios to the latest one from 2010..What's strange is that they ARE both detected until you get to the freeze when it's auto detecting for 4th master (which doesn't exist) , it does this even if neither drive is plugged in at all, and only boots through to bios proper if i plug the dvd into the sata raid port, whereupon only the HD is now detected but it doesn't mention 4th master or freeze..once in bios only the hd can be seen, the dvd has vanished..weird!