[SOLVED] P67-GD65 B3 & GTX 1660 6GB

Jul 31, 2019
I've been fighting to get the BIOS updated for a P67-GD65 B3... It's on 1.19 right now (I'm assuming / hoping that's why I get no display with the 1660).

I have tried what I believe is everything - using the tool from MSI to create the USB, M flash, etc...

I get to the point where it's updating, but then it says "halted" at the top, but then continues to say "Update successful"... but on reboot it's still 1.19.

With the 1.19 BIOS, the PC will start to boot, but hangs at the screen with the cursor top left, and "B2" bottom right with the GTX 1660 in. If I put the 660 back, it boots right up no problem. I do have sufficient power, this is not a PSU issue.

Is the BIOS update the issue here? I don't want to keep fighting with it if that's not even the problem... and if it is, why can't I update the BIOS?!?! Help!

Solution
You should be able to change the BIOS to UEFI booting as a test and change back to legacy if it does not work and Windows should boot still since all the necessary boot files are on the drive itself in a hidden partition, well from Windows 7 and newer that is.

As for doing an install yes. You change to UEFI booting and then when you boot to the DVD or USB for install make sure to select UEFI for it. It depends on the vendor but most will have a list for UEFI booting and a list for legacy booting. Its typically two sections, one legacy and the other UEFI, or the device might say UEFI: DVD/USB name etc.

I hope this is the issue as a faulty GPU is more of a pain than just changing boot types.
Jul 31, 2019
The one possible issue is how you are booting the system. Most modern GPUs do not support legacy booting and require it to load using UEFI booting. Are you booting UEFI or legacy?
I just checked the MSInfo - and the BIOS Mode does say Legacy. I'll check that when I get home later - thanks! (logged onto it remotely right now).

Jul 31, 2019
One thing to remember if you have it set to legacy and will need to change to UEFI you will have to reinstall Windows. Windows would have been setup with a legacy partition for booting and needs a UEFI partition to load UEFI.
I was afraid you were going to say that. It's a fairly new setup, so shouldn't be too painful. Is this as simple as changing it to UEFI in the BIOS, and then boot from Win DVD? Are there other steps I need to do?

You should be able to change the BIOS to UEFI booting as a test and change back to legacy if it does not work and Windows should boot still since all the necessary boot files are on the drive itself in a hidden partition, well from Windows 7 and newer that is.

As for doing an install yes. You change to UEFI booting and then when you boot to the DVD or USB for install make sure to select UEFI for it. It depends on the vendor but most will have a list for UEFI booting and a list for legacy booting. Its typically two sections, one legacy and the other UEFI, or the device might say UEFI: DVD/USB name etc.

I hope this is the issue as a faulty GPU is more of a pain than just changing boot types.

Solution
Jul 31, 2019
So I just stopped home on my lunch break - and also did some research - it looks like this BIOS is UEFI, but I didn't choose the UEFI when I initially installed. Either way - that nix's that idea for what's stopping the video card. I do believe I need a BIOS update ... I created the bootable usb on a new usb drive, will try again when I get back home. Frustrating stuff here. PCPartPicker did say that they were compatible, and I have no reason to believe that they're not... ? :|