P6N Diamond problems

JBrothe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I ordered a P6N off of NewEgg a couple of weeks ago. When I got it and hooked it up, it did nothing. It wouldn't beep, it wouldn't put out video; nothing. Even if I removed the CPU, RAM, everything, it would react the same. The only thing it did was light up the 4-led thing with the 2 USB ports on it: all 4 lights would go green (indicating OS is booting).

So I figured it was bad, so I returned it and got a replacement.

My new one also does nothing. It acts the same way as the last one, only this time the 4-led panel doesn't light up at all (each LED should light up red or green).

I've thought that maybe the CPU is bad, but I figured the mobo would beep or flash a certain code to me saying the CPU is bad.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

My setup:

P6N mobo
E6600 processor
2x1GB Kingston KVR533D2N4K2/2G DDR2 RAM
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
Ultra 20/24-pin 500W Power Supply ULT31841
an ide harddrive, a sata harddrive, and a sata dvd-burner

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Make sure everything is plugged in properly from the PSU. If they are, I'd try a different PSU. If that isn't it, take the mobo out of the case and make sure you have the exact number of stand offs and there is a screw for each one

JBrothe

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Will that really help? I don't know much about power supplies, but I figured either they can provide enough power or they can't. Even with everything unplugged, the board still doesn't work right.

I have noticed that the mobo's CPU plug has 8 12V plugs, whereas my power supply only provides 4. Would that matter?

Delph1nus

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I'd say either the PSU or the video card are the most suspect...problems with either of those could cause a no POST situation. If you can...try to acquire a loner to test this. Usually the 8 plug 12V is only needed for dual gfx card situations. Make sure the combined 12V rail on the PSU supplies at least 26A as this is the minimum recommended for your graphics card. Either way...500W is cutting it close for that video card especially if you're running a lot of optical and hard disks too. Good luck!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Keep in mind it takes more power to run a machine including the video card than to just start fans and lights. Like a car with a low battery, the horn and lights may work but that doesn't mean there is enough power to start the car.

TRENDING THREADS