Question p8h61 mx r2.0 support xeon e3 1230v2?

Apr 11, 2019
Alright, so pairing a CPU with a motherboard is a tricky thing when it comes to hardware that is a few years old. I think its really risky buying hardware that isn't explicitly stated as supported by the manufacturer. Although there is no harm if you already have both the CPU and the motherboard to go ahead and test it. Could we get some more information regarding your situation? Do you have a Xeon E3 1230v2 and are looking to buy a motherboard that supports it? Or do you have this motherboard and are looking to stick a Xeon processor into it? I found another post regarding both this CPU and motherboard on the LinusTechTips Forum which I will include a link to it at the bottom. From what I understood, it should in theory work but you won't have some of the benefits that a Xeon processor (ex. ECC memory support) allows the user to have. Another example is what I am running, I am running a Xeon E3 1245v2 on a motherboard that doesnt support ECC memory. The only difference between your build and mine(other than the obvious different parts) is that the CPU I am running is on the supported list.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112965-will-e3-1230-v2-work-with-p8h61-mx/

TL;DR
It depends. It may be worth a shot if you either already have the parts or the money to afford to buy a motherboard with the possibility of it not working with your CPU.

Wish I could be more of a help. If anything changes be sure to keep us updated and maybe post the results of what you figure out here in case someone else has the same question in the future.

Last edited: