P8Z68-V PRO UEFI Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark360

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I decided the other day that I wanted to format my computer and have a go with setting up Windows 8.1 on a UEFI boot.

Now the first I need to understand is some setting in the BIOS.

Legacy ROM & EFI Compatible ROM

From my understanding EFI Compatible ROM should integrate the RAID controller into the BIOS, but it does not.

Enabling it just makes the BIOS Logo Screen small and hangs for 30Secs-1Min, then just goes to a black screen with a flashing White line in the top left and also stops me from accessing the BIOS Set-up (DEL) & Boot Menu (F8).

I have to clear my CMOS to gain access to the BIOS.

The is also another options Force BIOS & Keep Current.

Whether I enable RAID or ACHI in the SATA configuration it still wont boot.

I have tried all combinations of each setting to no avail.

I have created a boot-able USB for Windows 8.1 using RUFUS in UEFI/GPT Mode.

With Legacy ROM and Force BIOS settings I can boot from UEFI USB, but the boot times are no different as its just creating a GPT install instead of an MBR one.

I have even backed up all the data from my RAID's and removed both the RAID configurations.

I have also flashed the latest firmware on my Motherboard, whic 3603.

Any Help would be appreciated??

Specs:

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO 3603
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
eVGA GTX 780 SC ACX SLI
2 x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB RAID 0
2 x WD 500GB RAID 0

Solution

David Moheban

Reputable
May 9, 2015

Hi I have very similar hardware and for a while I have been aware of this issue. From my research basically Asus F'd us by knowingly choosing not to fix their bios for the Z68 Gen 1 line. Problem is the bios has a bug such that the gop video driver on your 780 may not be hand shaking with the monitor and that the Uefi implementation is incomplete. On my system which is a P8z68 Deluxe board with two Evga 780s in SLI just like yours it doesn't post short of the Boot logo. Stalls on error LED code 62 which coincidentally you get pressing F8 usually to pick a boot device. So I'm not convinced its a vbios issue but just a blatant bios bug that should have been fixed a while ago!

Anyhow as I will be in the market for a new X99 board soon I am seriously doubting going Asus this round out. Never mind I can't even get Virtu MVP working and my last Asus video card I had to RMA to get working!

Anyhow only way to get a clean UEFI boot on this hardware is to do some serious modding of the bios modules and possibly risking bricking the board. It also may be possible to replace the CMSVideo driver in bios but I'm not sure if its worth the risk.

If you figure it out please post back

Good luck.

Solution

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
So I came across this thread because I was having the save problem. Was trying to do a clean install of win 10 and convert my SSD to GPT. Not quite the same edition but my mobo is the P8Z68-V LE.

After having to use the mobo's jumper to clear the settings so I could boot again, I got an idea. I went into the BIOS and chose the priority display device as igpu, bypassing my video card. I also unplugged all video cables from my video card and connected only one to the motherboard. I was able to boot with the EFI compatibility ROM selected.

I then set the USB flash drive with win 10 as the primary boot device and started the win 10 install process. I selected the SSD and win 10 install said it cannot use because it is not formatted correctly (which is good). You have to delete all partitions on it and let it make a new one (there will be 4 partitions) and it will now be formatted in GPT instead of MBR. I followed through and let it finished. Once windows was handling the booting and I had drivers I installed, I powered down my pc, unplugged my monitor from the mobo, hooked up all my displays to the video card and booted. I am running on win 10 64-bit with UEFI boot and formatted in GPT.

Hope this helps!

Intel i7-2600K @ 3.8GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LE 4102
8GB Corsair Vengeance 2166MHz
eVGA GTX 980Ti
Samsung 840 Pro
3x WD 1TBGB Caviar Black

May 19, 2019
Dark360: Enabling it just makes the BIOS Logo Screen small and hangs for 30Secs-1Min, then just goes to a black screen with a flashing White line in the top left and also stops me from accessing the BIOS Set-up (DEL) & Boot Menu (F8).

Black_Knight_MC: I went into the BIOS and chose the priority display device as igpu, bypassing my video card. I also unplugged all video cables from my video card and connected only one to the motherboard. I was able to boot with the EFI compatibility ROM selected.

has the same issue will give your suggestion and put the conclusion here!

USAFRet

Titan
Dark360: Enabling it just makes the BIOS Logo Screen small and hangs for 30Secs-1Min, then just goes to a black screen with a flashing White line in the top left and also stops me from accessing the BIOS Set-up (DEL) & Boot Menu (F8).

Black_Knight_MC: I went into the BIOS and chose the priority display device as igpu, bypassing my video card. I also unplugged all video cables from my video card and connected only one to the motherboard. I was able to boot with the EFI compatibility ROM selected.

has the same issue will give your suggestion and put the conclusion here!
This is a 3-4 year old thread.
Unlikely the original participants are still around.

Please create a new thread for your specific issue.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.