P8z77-v premium sata question

ma9u5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
So if I plug my intel 520 240gb ssd into the marvel sata I get an unconfigured ssd screen during post but it still works fine just annoying. So I plugged it into the Intel white sata and no longer get the unconfigured screen. But I believe only the 2 marvel ports on the board have the 32gb ssd caching that this board provides. I also read this review that had something about this:

The board comes with Asus’s own SSD caching utility, which promises to make setup particularly easy. However, this only works with SSDs plugged into the Marvell controller’s SATA3 ports, and it doesn’t recognise the onboard SSD. To use the onboard drive, we had to plug our mechanical hard disk into one of the Intel SATA ports and then set the SATA ports to RAID mode in the board’s graphical EFI BIOS. Once we’d booted back into Windows and run the Intel Rapid Storage utility, we could set up caching with the onboard SSD without a problem.

So I take that the Intel white port doesn't have caching provided by the 32gb onboard ssd? So would I have to do what they did to get this set up?

ma9u5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Oh wow you're saying using the onboard 32gb ssd for caching the HDD so they can some what compare to SSD? So using the onboard 32gb ssd for caching my intel ssd is pointless then?

Three things here, first the Marvell SATA ports are much slower than the Intel's Z77 SATA ports not to mention Marvell's adds latency, second SSD Caching an 'SSD' is pointless on an 'SSD' drive and I'm sure the Intel 520 is faster than the mSATA so you're slowing it down, third Intel SRT only works on the Intel SATA ports. Also only use the Intel SATA 3 ports (2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray) for your Intel 520.

Generally, unless needed I recommend Disabling the Marvell SATA ports; more bandwidth for other things e.g. PCIe slots.

Now what you can do is add SSD caching to a mechanical HDD; 32GB mSATA SSD + HDD. Do not use your Intel 520 as a caching SSD! So to sum it up:

SATA3 Port(s) - Boot (OS) & Apps: Intel 520 SSD or both in RAID 0 SSD or 2nd SSD for e.g. Dual Boot.
SATA2 Port(s) - Storage: HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD ; caching via Intel SRT

I think that with ASUS Z77 boards it's a little bit different than Z68 for SSD caching.
You have to connect the SSD and the HDD to the Marvell SATA ports and then use AiSuite.
If connecting 2 SSDs to the Marvell ports, you'll not get the option to enable SSD caching. And it makes no sense to cache an SSD.

On the Z77 Intel still uses Smart Response SSD caching Technology (SRT), and ASUS added it's own 'ASUS SSD Caching II' which requires you to use a third-party chipset e.g. Marvell. The sole advatage is >64GB SSD Caching (period), other than that everything is a disadvantage (slower R/W, PCIe latency, shared bandwidth, and it's driver/application immaturity).

The '32GB mSATA' is for Intel's SRT only, and not listed part of the 'ASUS SSD Caching II' add on solution.

I see now. Thank you.

Deland01

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Im not trying to cache the Samsung SSD as this would be pointless, Im trying to cache a SATA non SSD

Check this link out & it shows you how

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/12/feature_what_the_best_solid_state_disk_configuration/